1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Geddy Lee vs Standard Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by camardelle, Jan 15, 2014.

1. camardelle

camardelle Supporting Member

I love the neck on the GL and it would match my MIM P?J perfectly. Is it really worth the extra cash/$300?
  2. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

The only reason I have not buy a GL is because the neck, if you like it go for it, I have seen alot of GL in the classified lately, you can save couple of hundred dollars by buying used. And before somebody jump saying that the new GL are made in Mexico so they are lower quality than the old ones, let me tell you that the MIM I have tried looks, feel and sound the same as the CIJ I tried.
  3. camardelle

I just picked up a precision bass special a month ago and am really turned on buy the neck. A GL looks like it would match it perfectly. Add a gold pick guard and I've got twins. LOL

I would love to hear from others on this as well.

Really, I love this neck. Here's a pic of my recent acquisition….

[​IMG]
  4. camardelle

Are there other Fender jazz basses with the same neck as the Geddy Lee?
  5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Ive played that p bass special neck like you have. In my experience, it is not the same as a Geddy neck, thicker front to back, and more round around the back. Not too far from a geddy, but closer to a MIM standard profile. Try to get your hands on a geddy, most retailers have one on the wall (IME), and the neck is thinner than a MIM standard. Not that this is a bad thing, many prefer it, but it is something to note.
  6. camardelle

Thanks for the input bud. I really like the bass and am considering a purchase.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

A GL neck is one of the thinnest J necks around.
  8. camardelle

I wish I could see a graphic of the differences in necks. Anyone got something like that or can you point me to it? Thanks!
  9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

now that i think about it, one of those squier vm jazz necks (the new gloss ones) would probably feel alot more similar to your p special neck than a GL. Just something to consider, if you'd be willing to do a parts bass
  10. camardelle

Funny, I have one of those Beijing delivered today. LOL
  11. camardelle

Being. Danged auto correct. :)
  12. camardelle

Squier VM neck delivered today. It looks awesome on my Jazz. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]
  13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Looks good, thats a GL body?
  14. camardelle

Nope, just a MIM Jazz with a black pick guard and a BA2 bridge. I really like the look.
  15. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Beijing delivered? That actually got a chuckle from me.
  16. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

so i guess the question is, would you like it better with a gold pg like your p special? :smug:
  17. camardelle

I've thought about that and have a WTB ad in the classifieds for a jazz pg in gold. I'm sure I'll end up with one, but I have to admit that I really like it with the black one.

It's tough being such a slave to fashion….
  18. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

If it were me, Id probably go for the gold, even if it wasn't always on. I generally can't stand black basses, but the gold looks really good on your special.
  19. camardelle

You're gonna cost me a fortune dang it! LOL

I'll likely get one shortly. It'll make the maple neck look really good, especially with the block inlays. I've had a ton of basses over the last two years (like 23 or more) and I've bought two black ones. I sold the first one yesterday, but I'm liking the way the jazz looks.

And looks aren't everything. This bass really sounds great. I'm very pleased with both the sound and looks. Not too shabby for what is basically a parts bass. Not sure if I'll sell the rosewood neck that came with it or hang onto it for when I sell it, which I have a tendency to do unfortunately.

Out to price gold pick guards I guess….
  20. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

hey don't blame it on me man, you know you want the gold one too ;)