1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Geddy tone from VT Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by russpurdy, Jan 9, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

So first off I'm looking for modern Geddy tone (Far Cry specifically and onward). I appreciate authenticity but I have zero money for new gear so if you could keep the gear I have in mind while making suggestions that would be awesome! I have the following at my disposal...

Squier classic vibe jazz
    Yorkville tubmaster hybrid head (with blendable effects loop)
    Traynor 4x10
    Peavey Century Head
    Peavey 1x15
    Old Trace Elliot rackmount pre
    VT Bass pedal
    Assorted other bass pedals include muffs, fuzz faces, a rat, line 6 m5 and a few other odds and ends that probably won't be helpful.

I was wondering if blending the vt bass into the FX loop would possibly emulate Geddy's multi signal (yes, I know he runs direct) setup?
  2. russpurdy

Just realized this thread was terribly titled. Apologies for that. I wrote the title and then kinda veered off in another direction. Anyways, I guess I amost curious about using a VT bass to cop Geddy's dirty tone.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Try all knobs at noon, add drive to taste.
  4. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

A great deal of Geddy's tone is in his technique. The cool thing about trying to find someone's tone are all the other tones you find along the way. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  5. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Ya, he plucks really hard. My uncle met him in a music shop in Toronto, and heard him playing unplugged. Said he slammed the strings off the fret board pretty hard, very noisy! They must EQ a lot of that noise out through his rig but retains the aggressiveness.
  6. russpurdy

Well that sounds pretty good actually. Learning to pluck hard is cheaper than buying new gear haha. Any tips on setup (should I raise the action a bit?)
  7. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

You could spend a ton of money on gear chasing that dragon and never quite get there.
  8. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

Just hit hard. You get a lot of natural "growl" through the strings hitting the frets.