Geedy Lee Jazz Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taurus1, Dec 28, 2012.

1. taurus1

taurus1

I have the opportunity to make a trade for a 98 Geddy Lee JB. it has a perloid pickguard and noiseless J pickups, the pickups have the visible "Noiseless" logo on them.
    I've never seen a GL bass with this configuration.
    the seller says he bought the bass new at Guitar Center in San Francisco and that they sometimes had special edition basses just for them.
    I trust what he's saying is true and have no reason to doubt what he says, I've just never seen one.
    I'm curious as to how the noiseless pups sound, compared to stock pups, I'm not a fan of "high performance pups, I prefer stock.
    also the bass I'd be trading is a mint 1994 51 P bass reissue.
    any help or comments would be appreciated.
  2. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

My friend has a '98 GL bass. I'd have one too, if they made a lefty. Anyway, I doubt that any were shipped with noiseless pickups or a pearloid guard.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

They come with 70's re-issue pups, and plain white pg. Someone swapped them out, but who knows, may sound great.
  4. fxdwg

fxdwg

I don't think that trade would be in your favor at all. The stock pickups are single coil and hum quite a bit. The Fender noiseless are ceramic magnet pickups and harsh sounding. I used Dimarzio ultra jazz in the American St. and have had great success. The Getty lee bass is ok but just a show piece, the American standard is a big step up. With the fit and feel a lot nicer. If you watch rush he doesn't even use the "Getty Lee" he mostly plays a 77 American J.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Regardless of whether or not Fender made it that way, without documentation or proof, it is a modified bass.

Playing-wise, I'd take the Geddy. Looks-wise, I prefer the '51 P.
  7. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
    +1
    And the stock pups are fine, no, they are great.
  8. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    He use a Geddy as well as his original Jazz and some other custom shop jazz.
  9. BowserBass

BowserBass

Geddy's main bass is a 72, its what "geddy lee" is modeled after.
  10. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Previously rootsnfifths Supporting Member

I also own a GL and I am 99 percent sure Fender never had a special edition version. All Fender Geddy Lee's come stock with Fender USA Vintage Jazz Bass pickups. Some say there is a lack of bottom end in the stock pups so the 'noiseless' pups in that GL in question might even sound better to you.
  11. johnson79

johnson79

I think Getty plays a Squire.
  12. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

The "Getty Lee" may be a show piece but my "Geddy Lee" is not. ;) You are correct he does not use a "Getty Lee" on stage. The "Geddy Lee" basses are copied off of his Kalamazoo pawn shop find Fender Jazz. He uses few different basses on stage and I believe a few of them are "Geddy" models. Geddy Lee basses seem to get much respect on TB and I know I love mine!!! Rather it is a good trade or not, I don't know. The OP needs to try it out and make a decision after he plays it for a bit.
  13. fxdwg

fxdwg

Yes I know that but I always see him with the 77 , pearl blocks and binding.
  14. danomite64

That's not a '77, that's a custom shop replacement neck on his '72.
  15. danomite64

Or maybe Chris Squire plays a Geddy.......
  16. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Actually Chris have a yellow 72 Jazz which looks just like Geddy's 72 Jazz. But Chris played this Jazz before Geddy played his.
  17. fxdwg

fxdwg

Oh don't get me wrong the Getty lee bass is a really nice bass but I don't think it would be a fair trade. He should just buy a Getty lee with the stock pickups and keep the 51..if money is that tight buy used but stock.
  18. fxdwg

fxdwg

Ok so then it's not really a 72 anymore it's a custom shop that has a 77 look to it
  19. taurus1

taurus1

thanks for the help guys, I think I'm going to pass on the trade because of the non-stock guard and pups.
    I also think my mint '94 51 Ri is worth more.
    there's another Geddy Lee on cl for $600.00, I might consider that one.
  20. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    He should get a used MIJ Geddy with stock pups.
  21. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

don't know about Getty or Geedy Lee basses, but the Geddy Lee jazz basses are pretty nice; i'd say on a par construction-wise with that '51 P (they're both Japanese as i recall, so pretty well made) but more versatile.

+1 to noiseless and pearloid not being stock.