1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Geedy's New CS Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DLaunder, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DLaunder

DLaunder Supporting Member

I've searched for information on this, but I'm not able to find any posts that discuss it. I saw Rush on opening night of their Clockwork Angels tour, and Geddy was playing a beautiful CS jazz that I hadn't seen before. It was blue with a matching headstock and looked like it had the Relic treatment. I thought I'd share that with the community.

P.S. Not the most technically proficient show that I have seen from the boys (or their crew), but I was happy and surprised to see so much material from the 80's. I know many discount that time period in the bands long history, but that was when I learned to play, and Geddy was one of my mentors back then. I always appreciated the complexity and layering of the music from that time period.
  2. gordon5377

gordon5377

I'm going to see RUSH at the end of October so I will be looking forward to seeing this bass, and learning ahead of time what it might be.
  3. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

I saw that too. I loved the look of it. I couldn't really here what it sounded like because the volume was way down on it. I also had a lawn seat though.
  4. lijazz

lijazz

Who is Geedy?....he he...but seriously, I heard about it also but haven't seen any vids of it yet on Youtube...October 22nd, can't wait!
  5. gordon5377

gordon5377

Well, let's see. I already have a stock GL, I am building a replica of his red CS jazz, I am stocking parts to build a "time machine" bass, I guess I will have to wait and see what this blue bass is and make plans for another build.
  6. gordon5377

gordon5377

After MUCH searching, here is what I was able to find. I pulled these photos off the net so I am not responsible for the quality...sorry. Along with having to identify the blue bass, it looks as if he has gotten a new wine red w/pg bass, or his red CS has been modded with a guard (looks like abalone).

EDIT: Thanks to cygnus-x1.net for posting these pics.

Attached Files:

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
    • 37.jpg
      37.jpg
      File size:
      138.5 KB
      Views:
  7. NWB

NWB

Gah! Now I can't remember where I read the interview, but the sonic blue relic jazz isn't a Fender.

He didn't name the builder though.

A-searching I will go to find the interview...
  8. gordon5377

gordon5377

Someone playing a 'Fender' that is not really a Fender (Fender logo on a non-Fender product)?!?!?. This will certainly spark some debate on this forum for sure!
  9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I wonder if it is this one:

10. Echovox

Echovox

Hi guys,
    The bass you are talking about is a Surf Green Fender Masterbuilt Jazz Bass with a matching peghead.
    It was built for Geddy as a surprise from his tech for the upcoming tour. I am the builder that made the bass so I know this as fact.
    Sweet bass, and so happy to see he is playing it on tour!
  11. NWB

NWB

That's the one I was thinking of.

I think I may have been mislead though. I have to search out to find where I read it was another maker.:meh:
  12. dalkowski

dalkowski

I was at the Manchester show and yeah, that bass is a beaut!
  13. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

very cool. It looks like a lovely bass!
  14. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

That's too cool! Welcome!

I think the red one might be the red one he has had since the 90's with the added pickgaurd. There was a video on Bass Player TV years ago with Geddy backstage showing his basses for the Snakes and Arrows tour. I think he said the "Red One" was his favorite next to his '72. But he commented how the tone was just a little but different. I believe Faithless and We Hold On were recorded with the Red One.
    Brent
  15. Echovox

Echovox

I believe the Candy Red one was made by Fender Artist Relations builder Larry Brooks in the 90s. The reason I think it is darker is because the bridge pickup is in the early 60s location.
  16. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist Supporting Member

At 1:08 or 1:09 that one looks like it has a rosewood or ebony board, not maple.
  17. gordon5377

gordon5377

When he is going to put the bass up on the stand you can also see that it has a white pickguard and not the tort as shown in the pic. Also, keep in mind that the video was posted in 2010 and, if what a previous poster said was true, he just built the bass for this tour, so must not be the same bass.
  18. Echovox

Echovox

The Sonic Blue bass is a completly different bass.
  19. gordon5377

gordon5377

Why would you do that??? Cover up that gorgeous flame maple? I L-O-V-E that bass. Can't remember where I read it but in an interview he called the red CS an 'absolutely gorgeous instrument', but then he noted the tonal difference you mentioned.
  20. Echovox

Echovox

Here is a picture of the bass before it was shipped to Geddy

Attached Files: