Geedy's New CS Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DLaunder, Sep 14, 2012.

1. DLaunder

DLaunder

I've searched for information on this, but I'm not able to find any posts that discuss it. I saw Rush on opening night of their Clockwork Angels tour, and Geddy was playing a beautiful CS jazz that I hadn't seen before. It was blue with a matching headstock and looked like it had the Relic treatment. I thought I'd share that with the community.

P.S. Not the most technically proficient show that I have seen from the boys (or their crew), but I was happy and surprised to see so much material from the 80's. I know many discount that time period in the bands long history, but that was when I learned to play, and Geddy was one of my mentors back then. I always appreciated the complexity and layering of the music from that time period.

2. gordon5377

gordon5377

I'm going to see RUSH at the end of October so I will be looking forward to seeing this bass, and learning ahead of time what it might be.

3. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

Media:
    I saw that too. I loved the look of it. I couldn't really here what it sounded like because the volume was way down on it. I also had a lawn seat though.

4. lijazz

lijazz

Who is Geedy?....he he...but seriously, I heard about it also but haven't seen any vids of it yet on Youtube...October 22nd, can't wait!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gordon5377

gordon5377

Well, let's see. I already have a stock GL, I am building a replica of his red CS jazz, I am stocking parts to build a "time machine" bass, I guess I will have to wait and see what this blue bass is and make plans for another build.

7. gordon5377

gordon5377

After MUCH searching, here is what I was able to find. I pulled these photos off the net so I am not responsible for the quality...sorry. Along with having to identify the blue bass, it looks as if he has gotten a new wine red w/pg bass, or his red CS has been modded with a guard (looks like abalone).

EDIT: Thanks to cygnus-x1.net for posting these pics.

Attached Files:

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
    • 37.jpg
      37.jpg
      File size:
      138.5 KB
      Views:
  8. NWB

NWB

Gah! Now I can't remember where I read the interview, but the sonic blue relic jazz isn't a Fender.

He didn't name the builder though.

A-searching I will go to find the interview...

9. gordon5377

gordon5377

Someone playing a 'Fender' that is not really a Fender (Fender logo on a non-Fender product)?!?!?. This will certainly spark some debate on this forum for sure!

10. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I wonder if it is this one:

11. Echovox

Echovox

Hi guys,
    The bass you are talking about is a Surf Green Fender Masterbuilt Jazz Bass with a matching peghead.
    It was built for Geddy as a surprise from his tech for the upcoming tour. I am the builder that made the bass so I know this as fact.
    Sweet bass, and so happy to see he is playing it on tour!

12. NWB

NWB

That's the one I was thinking of.

I think I may have been mislead though. I have to search out to find where I read it was another maker.:meh:

13. dalkowski

dalkowski

I was at the Manchester show and yeah, that bass is a beaut!

14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

very cool. It looks like a lovely bass!

15. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

That's too cool! Welcome!

I think the red one might be the red one he has had since the 90's with the added pickgaurd. There was a video on Bass Player TV years ago with Geddy backstage showing his basses for the Snakes and Arrows tour. I think he said the "Red One" was his favorite next to his '72. But he commented how the tone was just a little but different. I believe Faithless and We Hold On were recorded with the Red One.
    Brent

16. Echovox

Echovox

I believe the Candy Red one was made by Fender Artist Relations builder Larry Brooks in the 90s. The reason I think it is darker is because the bridge pickup is in the early 60s location.

17. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

At 1:08 or 1:09 that one looks like it has a rosewood or ebony board, not maple.

18. gordon5377

gordon5377

When he is going to put the bass up on the stand you can also see that it has a white pickguard and not the tort as shown in the pic. Also, keep in mind that the video was posted in 2010 and, if what a previous poster said was true, he just built the bass for this tour, so must not be the same bass.

19. Echovox

Echovox

The Sonic Blue bass is a completly different bass.

20. gordon5377

gordon5377

Why would you do that??? Cover up that gorgeous flame maple? I L-O-V-E that bass. Can't remember where I read it but in an interview he called the red CS an 'absolutely gorgeous instrument', but then he noted the tonal difference you mentioned.

21. Echovox

Echovox

Here is a picture of the bass before it was shipped to Geddy

Attached Files: