1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

General Information and questions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shovel, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Shovel

Shovel

Hi all. I'm a newbie to playing bass, and was looking for some resources as to parts and terminology. :help:

I want to find out about what makes a bass good, how to maintain it, what the parts of the bass are, etc.

I play a Fender Jazz that I got for around 75USD used ( granted, with a couple paint chips), but it came with a screw missing in the bridge (again, not sure if that's what it's called). I was wondering where could get replacements. I'm not sure if this screw missing is harming my bass in anyway. Also, there seems to be a buzzing any time i hit the 9th-12th fret on the G string, and if i can get rid of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    [​IMG]

For starters....
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    As for the buzzing, you need the proper size allen wrench to adjust the saddle (pic below) on the bridge that the g string is resting on. If you tighten the 2 small screws in there, it will raise the saddle and most likely get rid of the buzzing.

[​IMG]

That's the simplest solution. Chances are you probably need an entire setup on the bass. Just about any quesion you might have regarding that can be answered here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/all-basic-setup-questions-answered-here-125382/ .