General Information and questions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shovel, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Shovel

Shovel

Hi all. I'm a newbie to playing bass, and was looking for some resources as to parts and terminology. :help:

I want to find out about what makes a bass good, how to maintain it, what the parts of the bass are, etc.

I play a Fender Jazz that I got for around 75USD used ( granted, with a couple paint chips), but it came with a screw missing in the bridge (again, not sure if that's what it's called). I was wondering where could get replacements. I'm not sure if this screw missing is harming my bass in anyway. Also, there seems to be a buzzing any time i hit the 9th-12th fret on the G string, and if i can get rid of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    As for the buzzing, you need the proper size allen wrench to adjust the saddle (pic below) on the bridge that the g string is resting on. If you tighten the 2 small screws in there, it will raise the saddle and most likely get rid of the buzzing.

[​IMG]

That's the simplest solution. Chances are you probably need an entire setup on the bass. Just about any quesion you might have regarding that can be answered here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/all-basic-setup-questions-answered-here-125382/ .