1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genius or Stupid

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Skarekrough, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

I'm not a big "pedals on the floor" guy but in my setup I do use a few in my chain which get turned on and left on.

In the past I've piled them on top of my amp but always had issues with them sliding off. Sometimes they got taped, sometimes, velcro, etc. Either way it was a pain, less than effective and typically left a sticky mess behind.

I was thinking about using painters tape (no sticky mess!) to add magnets to the bottom of the pedals and the top of the rack-mounted head.

Since were dealing with electronics and magnets I wanted to run this by the folks here to see if there is something that I might be overlooking that could cause damage or an issue.

The magnets are small "rare earth" type. I've been using them to make stir plates (I homebrew beer).

What do you folks think? There's enough holding power to keep the pedals and other items from sliding off. But I'm always concerned about causing damage.

Thanks!
  2. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

I'm not an electrical engineer but I think magnets would be a bad idea. I have my amp in a rack case and my pedals are on a board with rubber feet under it. It sits on top of my rack case and I have had no problems with it falling off.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Whatchu got against velcro?

I feel as though the magnets might mess with some of your signal chain. I have nothing to back that up other than a gut feeling. But, in some cases, you can't just willy nilly put magnets and electronic gear together. I'm perfectly willing to admit there may be no problem whatsoever with doing it. But it seems like a much more complicated solution than velcro (or perhaps even putting the dang things on the floor..... gravity works great as well.)
  4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Works well here.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Magnets aren't attracted to aluminum and magnesium alloy. They do stick to steel. Likewise, maggots are attracted to cheese.

So it depends on what type of material the pedal case is made of. Why not get a magnet and test it on your pedal.
  6. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

For a while, I kept my pedals in a rack drawer in my rig. It was a pretty good solution because the few pedals I do run stay on almost all the time, and I am a big fan of keeping everything as compact as possible.

Eventually, my intentions backfired. At one point, I has a 2U amp, rack power conditioner, rack tuner, rack wireless, the drawer and pedals, and I was dragging around an 8U rack - so much for compact.

I hung on to the rack drawer on the off chance I got the itch to ry that configuration again. Give me a shout if you're interested in it; I think you know where to find me.
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I would caution against using magnets. The relationship between magnetism and electron flow is undeniable. There is a reason magnetic shielding exists in some electronic applications.
  8. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is what I use:

Velcro Industrial Strips

Been using them for years. I have strips on all of my heads, and in my rack. The pedals (tuners etc...) don't even think of coming off.
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you really, really don't want something to shift...this stuff is far beyond velcro:

3M Dual-Lock:http://www.shop3m.com/dual-lock-adh...ck-low-profile-reclosable-fastener-group.html

It's expensive, but if you check the price list you can buy a 10-foot strip of it for $23. This stuff is REALLY TOUGH. I use it to fasten down microphones in classrooms. The adhesive is very stout, and the material uses plastic-tip fasteners to lock together. It NEVER comes apart accidentally.
  10. chienmort

chienmort

Static magnets will cause no harm. It is only when you move them that it causes a problem.
  11. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Nothing against velcro.....now springs on the other hand...

It isn't about the adhesion in that sense. I know the stuff you're talking about and have used it in the past.

The thing I am talking about is not having to glue something to pedals or other devices in order to be able to use them with velcro or any other material. I want to be able to find a way to mount a pedal to something quickly and easily and be able to move it around and not have to glue anything to the bottom of a pedal.
  12. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow

I just put my "always on" pedals on the floor right in front of or next to the cab. No engineering required, and they're still out of the way.
  13. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

+1, my PT Mini fits right underneath my slantback Markbass combo.