1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genssler Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by S.fasciani, Jul 24, 2012.

1. S.fasciani

S.fasciani Supporting Member

Just wanted to say that after installing the "wraps" on my bass ive never been so happy with a set of strings. These string are worth the investment!
  2. robinunit

robinunit

Anyway you could put some soundclips up?
  3. S.fasciani

S.fasciani Supporting Member

Ill try to if I have some time in the next few days.
  4. martinc

martinc

S.fasciani: Can you expand....why do you like them so much?
  5. cold elephant

cold elephant

Quite excited to say I've got a 5 string set of Red Labels winging their way to me as we speak - will let everyone know how they perform as soon as I get a chance!
  6. cold elephant

cold elephant

....They came in the post today! Whacked them on the bass, and had a bit of a scrape and a pluck.

I was quite surprised how thin the g string is in diameter, but the rest of the set seems fairly standard in this regard. They certainly respond very well to the bow and put out a lot of volume. The sound is extremely focused and is at the moment on the bright side, I think I'm going to remove the baroque style bridge (heartless and wingless, Gerold's response upon receiving a photo of it was 'without heart - how would you like to live without one?' - Seriously though he did express concern about the suitability of the sound for orchestral playing, and now I have his strings on the bass I'm inclined to agree with him) and put a modern style one back on to tame a bit of the zing. The thinking behind that whole experiment with the bridge was to try and liven up the sound, and I can see that now I've got some strings that really work that this is unnecessary.

The lower tension feels great for both hands, my bass has a 43 inch stop and a chunky neck. It's tiring to play at times even running fairly user friendly strings like Belcantos, Passiones, etc.

I imagine it'll probably take a few weeks for the strings to really settle in and for the instrument to really adjust to the lower tension, and I'll report back once a more sensible bridge and the RED SONOPHIL tailpiece wire have been installed. But right out of the box I think they sound extremely promising indeed, so much so that I'm thinking I won't be going back to any of the offerings from other companies in a hurry. Or ever, really.

I'd be very interested in trying some of the gut strings he offers, but at present I think I'm happy to leave that adventure for another day. Hope this is of some interest to anyone reading all the hype about his strings - from my limited experience I'm already confident in saying that installing a set of Sonores string is extremely unlikely to result in anything other than a significant improvement in playability.
  7. foilracer

foilracer

Just stumbled upon this thread and would like to hear your comments "now" after possibly 6 months of use. And another comparison to Passiones. Thanks in advance!
  8. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Could someone put up contact info/website for Genssler?
  9. bassist14

bassist14

10. cold elephant

cold elephant

I'm using gerold's 2012 gut set now - I made the change after he said that I'd get a thicker orchestral sound out of them. They're amazing. Huge sound, incredibly resonant and deep. Pizz sounds almost like there's a little bass drum inside the instrument. Fairly thick gauge (he describes the gut core as 'thick' in his leaflet) but no more than Olivs/Eudoxas or anything like that.

There's no comparison to strings like Passiones to be honest - they can't hold a candle to the amount of depth and harmonic content you get from these gut strings. They're very expensive but totally worth it. They've been on about 6 weeks and the feedback I've had from everyone else who's heard the bass in that time has been overwhelmingly positive. I won't be using anything else for orchestral playing again unless when these wear out he's developed a better model.
  11. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

How is tuning stability in different temp/humidity situations?
  12. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

I've had little to no issues with tuning in the unstable environment of wintery AK.
  13. cold elephant

cold elephant

I wheeled my bass through about -2c windy/rainy newcastle about a week after I put the strings on and there didn't seem to be any problem. They took maybe 3 or 4 days to hold pitch really well but were fine after that, just about the same as the belcantos that were on previously.... There was a slight humidity problem at the venue I was playing at too (it was yo-yoing between about 29 and 42 degrees) but there was no effect on the pitch at all.
  14. foilracer

foilracer

Thank you cold E...next question... can your satisfaction be compared to Compas 180 orchestra bowing/ ? anyone else
    bowing "guts" in orchestra?
  15. cold elephant

cold elephant

re. Velvet strings comparison, I've never used any other gut strings for orchestra except Eudoxa and I feel I can do everything that's required with the same amount of ease and a better sound. They are like other gut strings in that there is a looser feel under both hands and a somewhat different approach is required with the bow. But I'm extremely happy. Great sound.
  16. TonyD

TonyD

Cold elephanth - how can you get this leaflet?
  17. cold elephant

cold elephant

TonyD - just send him an email expressing interest in his products to the email address bassist14 posted above. He should get back to you fairly quickly.
  18. rxman28557

rxman28557

Cold elephant-If you could put up any soundclips of the 2012 set, it'd be much appreciated!
  19. cold elephant

cold elephant

No problem - i'll get the recording machine out tomorrow. Little bit jetlagged at the moment...
  20. cold elephant

cold elephant

Here's a couple of bits. Go easy on me, I haven't played on my bass in 2 weeks! Just got back from a tour of china playing some truly dreadfully set up basses. Almost back onto GMT...

https://soundcloud.com/coldelephant/2012-set-arco

https://soundcloud.com/coldelephant/2012-set-pizz

Hope these work for everyone. They're a little bit scrappy but I think you get the general idea of the sound. In person you get a lot more of that sound that you feel rather than hear, but obviously there are limitations to what can be conveyed through a zoom h2n. Enjoy!