1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz 900 watts

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassbass1, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Bassbass1

Bassbass1

Hey Bass Brothers
    Can someone please enlighten me what are the differences between the 900 watt Genz Benz streamliner and shuttle
    Which one should I purchase??
    Thanks in amp-ticipation!!
    Best wishes
    BB1
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There are mega threads on these heads, so get the detail there.

In short, the Shuttle is a more traditional solid state sounding head with a bit of 'complexity' added by the tube. It is tight, punchy, bright and is a different flavor of what most consider a 'hybrid tone'.

The Streamliner is meant to vibe an all tube power section. It has a somewhat complex, old school front end with EQ that works more like the old Bassman circuit (where the tone controls greatly interact and where 'all knobs at noon does not in any way get you to a neutral tone). The low end is big and bloomy like an all tube amp, the mids are very relaxed, and the top end has that unique 'all tube' sort of sweetness.

While you can use any amp for any reason with any bass, an oversimplification to clarify the differences between these two amps is that the Shuttle line with give you that immediate feeling, quick punchy tone that is great for digging in at the bridge, slapping, or otherwise 'modern' sort of tone. The Streamliner lives to be played with a P Bass with flats. Again, oversimplification, since you can move each amp a bit closer to each of those vibes with EQ, but in no way do they ever sound the same.
  3. ErnieD

ErnieD

shouldn't OP mention what cab(s) he plans to use with possibly the STM-900? I've mainly been using my STM-900 with a modded, 4 ohm Eden D210T cab and Am St P5 w/D'Ad Nylon Tapes, yep Tapes baby. Other times I use a GB NeoX 212T, very nice. Or even two TC-E RS210's stacked vert; really nice with my modern 5ers as well.

I just heard a band last weekend, bassist and I spoke, he used a Epifani UL212 cab, w/GB 9.2 head Bongo/Sadowsky MV basses; no PA for bass. It was a 3 pc, mildly-hard-rock band. They integrated Nelly's "Hot In Here" into middle of a hardrock tune, haha, pretty bad@$$. But I digress.

My point being, my STM-900 doesn't exactly love my Epifani UL410 cabs. His 9.2 with UL212 sounded pretty darn awesome. I know that head is quite versatile; can't say how that cab would be with my 900 head. But since I've started using the SVT settings on my STM-900; I've gotten alot more control over those awesome lows this amp can/will do. Maybe I need to try the UL410 with some new settings...hmmm?

Also, guessing the D210T cab, it now has DelatLite II 2510's, so its a 4ohm, 500 watt bad lil'..shut yo mouth! Good PA support in the Motown/Soul band helps. But I sure liked what I heard in that dudes 9.2 head. I mighta preferred the variety of the 9.2 over the 900. But learning some different settings on the STM-900 will surely get you there too, IMHO.
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 IME, the Shuttle (like many of the Markbass, GK, etc. heads) sounds pretty good with everything. The Streamliner, just like some all tube heads, seems to thrive with a more 'sealed cab' like design (i.e., tight in the lows, present in the mids.... literally the opposite of your 410UL).
  5. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

KJung has got it covered. The ShuttleMax has a more powerful EQ section, which is why I opted for it.
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Shuttle amps (edit: they sound good, but the Max heads are so much more), but I feel the Shuttle Max 9.2 is in the top of the top tier of amps on the market today. Amazing EQ, nice wump of power, FET and tube preamps, variable voicing filters, complex effects loop system, lightweight, and still small enough for a bag. Amazing head.

Quite a few TBers use the Max 9.2 as their 'modern/punchy' do it all head, and the Streamliner for that 'thing' the Streamliner does so well.... tubey, fat, warm, relaxed, big tone.
  7. Musicman20

Musicman20

This! Exactly what I'm doing.
  8. Bassbass1

Bassbass1

Thanks to All
    Appreciate your replies and comments
    Obviously they are all great amps, so feeling better about choosing GB
    What do you think...specifically for Double bass 1850 ( Realistic pick-up....piezo ) and a Sadowski M5 modern..with Tecamp 210 cab 600 watts and a TCE 210 cab 400 watts
    where I need to play a wide variety of musical styles and volume
    Shuttle 9.2 or Shuttle Max 9.2 or STM 900???
  9. UpwardGroove

UpwardGroove

10. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    No offense to that seller, but if you look around you can find new ones for $750.
  11. Bassbass1

Bassbass1

Thanks UG and WC for the heads up
    Any particular store that you recommend for the best deals on the GB range?
    BB1
  12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Yes but depending on how old that is and if the seller has the receipt for the warranty it might still be a pretty good deal .. and he might be able to negotiate down a few Jacksons... $100 is $100

I'd look here at the classifieds first.. I have yet to be dissappointed from there.. and I have so far gotten 3 heads.. (all GB ) , 3 cabs, a case, a laptop bag for my head, several effects and sold lots of stuff on there too... it is a great resource on some good deals..
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

For GB gear check new eBay 1st. TB classifieds are filled with ads for used amp gear priced within 10% of what it can be had for new, with warranty.
  14. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Yep.
    I bought a new Shuttlemax, shipped direct from Genz-Benz, from an eBay seller for just under $700. Current prices from non-brick/mortar sellers on eBay are $750.

I don't blame the sellers here for asking close to current retail. In most cases they bought the gear before the prices dropped and they want to recoup at least 1/2 of their intitial investment plus shipping costs and Paypal fees.
  15. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    Soon to become an owner of a new ShuttleMax 9.2. Being a doubler the OP should consider this amp. I'm also getting an A/B switch so that I can switch basses by hitting the A/B switch and also changing the EQ on the SM 9.2 using the pedal that comes with the amp. Two quick switch changes and then switch basses without unplugging.

Wally
  16. Bassbass1

Bassbass1

Thanks wcrilley
    who did buy from
    thats a fair price for a new amp

Cheers Wally
    Like to know more details about your amp/basses configuration
    sounds like a great idea

Best wishes
    BB1
  17. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    BB1, my GB SM 9.2 hasn't arrived yet but I will be using it with one or two Accugroove Tri112 cabs, one of the original and one of the new Tri112L models. The basses I use in various combinations are a Kubicki X Factor, Ibanez GVB36 six-string, Fender American Standard Jazz with a Roland GK3B pickup for the Roland V-Bass and a 1/4 size Kay URB with a Turner UB-1 pickup system. As you can see there is a real variety of instruments being used. I'm currently using a Shuttle 6.0 which help me decide to go for the SM 9.2.

Wally
  18. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I have been using a GB SM 9.2 for about 6 weeks now. I am very happy with it. It sounds great with my Fearful 15/6. I can get a wide variety of modern tones. It also has a lot of great features such as headphone out, aux in, mixable SS and tube pre, etc. It comes with a footswitch to make on the spot eq changes. The only negs I noticed were the somewhat noisy fan and the footswitch cable is about 18' long and hard-wired to the switch body.
  19. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Yep, when trying them both to see which one I wanted to buy, I could easily see myself owning both. If I can ever sell off some of these older amps I have I will own them both!
  20. rodl2005

rodl2005

In your situation, I'd go with the Shuttle over the STL. Hugely versatile & sculptable, superb amp.Especially for upright.