1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz Advice needed QUICK!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassmanchu, Feb 11, 2014.

1. bassmanchu

bassmanchu

I have a chance to get the Genz Benz shuttle 6.2 on the cheap (new). I'm looking to pair it with a 10T or EA Wizzy 10.

Is this amp too much power for that cab? Will I need to worry about that? This will be for UB, mostly jazz and stage shows - no rock or super loud gigs.

Thanks for your help!
    Alex
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You'll be ok as long as you don't crank it.
  3. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

sounds like a nice rig
  4. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Great amp.. Get it.. It is not too much power.. Just TURN DOWN the VOLUME control... And listen with your ears.. .I use 900 to 1000 watts all the time into cabs rated at 300 watts.. I just dont slam them to death.. I listen..
  5. bassmanchu

bassmanchu

Very cool - Thanks for your help guys! I just ended up buying the last one they had... with seconds to spare.

:D
  6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I don't know what cab you want to pair with the Genz Benz but, in general, you need not be too concerned about over-powering a cab. Assuming there's no tweeter and assuming reasonable care, a woofer will typically give you some warning before it is substantially damaged. You will hear it "bottom out" and make the classic "farting" noise if you go too far. Then, just back off a bit. Cabs with tweeters are another story. Tweeters give you little warning but what blows tweeters most often is underpowering! When you push an amp too far, it clips the waveform. That results in massive amounts of power at high-frequencies being sent to the cab and right into the tweeter. Poof!
  7. bassmanchu

bassmanchu

Thanks drurb. That will definitely impact my decision about which cab to go for. I'm really looking at something like a GB 10T or EA Wizzy 10, so I'll have to consider something with a tweeter cut switch. Though it sounds like since I've upped my wattage, I won't have to worry about that particular issue too much.

I think this head will also pair really well with my Ampeg Classic 4x10 and my Kustom 2x15 (if I ever play another gig that requires that kind of power again).
  8. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

I use my 900 watt Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 to power my Genz Benz 1x12" for upright and my Aguilar GS 412 for electric bass.
    Great amps.
  9. bassmanchu

bassmanchu

Hey kerrycares - sounds like a great rig! I'm hoping to get something similar (though at lower volumes of course) with mine.
  10. bassmanchu

bassmanchu

I ended up buying a used Eden EX110 to pair with it. I'll report back when I've had a chance to really play them both. So far I'm digging the sound of the Benz Genz through some computer speakers (via the headphone jack).
  11. bassmanchu

bassmanchu

I finally got a chance to play on my new micro-rig at a rehearsal tonight:

Benz Genz Shuttle 6.2
    Eden EX110
    Radio Shack mic
    double bass

GREAT little rig! The group was a jazz quintet with a pretty loud drummer. The amp (and bass) really held its own. I never felt like I had to push to be heard, though it took a little while to get the EQ right. I felt like I was really pushing the volume at around 25% power. Almost too loud at that setting, and I had to dial back the bass tone. Too boomy.

I highly recommend them both these units (BG 6.2 and Eden) together. Very clean sound, very high-fidelity.

My favorite part, by far, was that I could get my upright, gig bag (with amp head) and cabinet into the venue in one trip. So satisfying.