1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Genz Benz Contour 115 combo saga...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Eatapeach1965, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

I have never had to go through this before,so I have no base line of what ' service issues' are acceptable or not...So I'd like to ask here. Thanks for any advise

First off
    Agedhorse(Andy) has had some input and advise and I thank him sincerely and appreciated time.

The story.

I researched amps here,and other sites. I was looking at 100-200 watts in the $300-350 range.
    Then along came this blow out deal from Andrews Music. A quality amp that I would not have otherwise been able to afford..I jumped on it.
    Everything and more than I need. Great rep etc.

I had the amp 6 weeks. Played it 4-6 times at living room levels. No more. I was switching the tweeter on/off...The amp blew- literally. Fizzed/popped/ flashed. No sound..Powers up,but dead silent.

I called Andrews,they said to get it checked by The only authorized repair person in the country. ( Andy) and call Fender. Though helpful,they basically washed their hands of it IMO. Maybe I' m wrong IDK.
    I called Fender as they suggested I should. Fenders customer service said take it to a local authorized repair shop a couple of towns away. Which I did.
    A day later I was told it's the horn and switch... But I wonder ,why did it not make -any- sound then?? The way it ,fizz,flashed and popped was crazy.. but, that's not my profession/expertise, so I'll go with it, and get it fixed.

A week goes by and no word. So I called ,and was told the parts are on order and he's been waiting on them.
    I believe this. When I called Fender customer service ,again, they verified the parts had been ordered,and that they are "looking for them." Really?
    So now I just want ,and ask for, a replacement amp( Fender said they aren't any more Contours) or one of equal value. He said he would call with suggestions. Of course,no call yet.

If this amp blew on me in 6weeks,and they have trouble fixing a simple problem now. What will it be like in a couple of years?
    My faith has taken a shot. Now I'm disappointed. Not at the amp,things happen. I get that. But at how it's being handled.

It was a Christmas present from my girlfriend. She's been in major retail most of her life. She's going ******** over it. She's about to get all mad Italian woman on them.

Whether or not its a transitional company issue,or lack of materials,or both.. I just want an amp.

Thanks all

2. rockinpop

rockinpop Gold Supporting Member

Wow, Genz Benz customer service was the BEST in the business (imho). I cant believe now that it's Fender CS you're getting the run-around. Have you reached out to "agedhorse" again? Damn, I have so much GB gear, hope I never need service. Good luck, I hope they work it out for you..

3. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

Funny thing too... The second time I called Fender CS.They referee me to the Genz CS... Who then blamed/and referee me back to ' their parent company'...

I do want another contour because I dont think it was a Brand issue. Even Andy said this may be the second ever having an issue

Frustrating.

4. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

This experience of yours makes me a sad panda :(

C'mon Fender, make it right, quickly....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

Bryce,from Fender called back just a bit ago..
    They are looking for another Contour to replace mine.
    I asked for an ETA...he said they still need to find one and will call tomorrow,his supervisor is on it as well..We'll see

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I figured they were looking into it. Too many GB owners out there to excrete on without a major backlash at Fender. Bigger bureaucracy now though so the wheels of justice turn more slowly. Good luck!

:cool:

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

To clarify, I suggested that you take the combo to the local warranty center so that they can diagnose the (probable) problem with the cabinet that caused the damage to the amp and that I would take care of the amp portion at my shop for your service center once they figured out what was going on. I didn't want you to ship the combo cabinet around to avoid possible shipping damage.

If they can't find a replacement for you, we can get this fixed. The amp portion is the easy (and 48 hour quick) part.

Do you still have my e-mail address?

9. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Hey OP, sounds like you are being looked after... did you know that Agedhorse is 'the man' when it comes to Genz products, from what I understand he designed these amps, so you are in excellent hands. Good luck.

10. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

Yes. I do have your email still. I brought to my local guy( at Fenders and your prompting) he said its the switch/horn. It seemed like a Quick easy fix, so I left it with him. All
    I know is that was akot of fizz/pop/flash for a switch cutting out. It had to effect something else.
    What if this or something else happens down the road. Fender/GB cant find a part now.
    I do appreciate your help very much and value your input. I dont beleiev its a bad brand etc, I have never heard anything but great things. Thats why at this point I just want a replacement.

I do/did know. And glad to have him in my corner.

11. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

So the guy who was supposed to call us back today,went home early.. Without calling.
    Instead spoke with a co-worker who was useless. The rep Would not let the call go to a manger. Told us we would have to write to him! and he would then forward it along.... Really? That's crazy.

He said they continue to look for parts or a replacement.
    I find it hard to believe they can't find any parts or amps.. I even said I'd be happy with any configuration.
    I would have shipped the amp to agedhorse, but it was just a switch/horn issue. Not a chasis issue. But I didn't think it would go like this...

So now what? I wait

12. agedhorse

I am already in contact with your service center, we should have a plan in place tomorrow. I am out on the road doing FOH for a couple of tour dates but will be back in the shop tomorrow morning and will give him a follow-up call.

13. dieselman

dieselman

14. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

Thank you!

15. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
  16. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

update...
    The amp head is on its way to Andy. having some parts replaced

Andy,Thank you for your concern and time.

17. agedhorse

No problem man, we will get it taken care of. No worries.

18. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    And this is why I just had a choice between second hand carvin or new in box genz (for $150 more) and chose genz. (I now will have a contour 115, a 6.2 shuttle and a focus 410 ... I may add a focus 115).