1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz Contour 500 - 115 vs. 210 confusion

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by terribilino, Apr 27, 2012.

1. terribilino

terribilino

I've been trying to sift through old threads to find out the fundamental difference between these two cabs, but it's not so easy.

Obviously Genz Benz has decided that there's a market for both of these with their Contour 500 combo. But what would they be thinking? We'll offer the 115 for the x-players, and the 210 for the y-players.

But what's the x and y?
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Personal preference. Nothing more.
  3. terribilino

terribilino

Okay: the difference between x and y is personal preference. Fair enough. But what is x and y? Is x the passive bass, old school player? Is y the 'modern' sound - 80s, active, poppier, funkier? I've got zero experience with amps, and I don't live in a place where I can zip down to the local shop and compare them. So what's the difference?
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Some folks really do prefer one speaker combination over the other. They have a different sound and feel. Rather than trying to change a customer's preferences, we offer something that each player might prefer.

The 115 has a little rounder tone, maybe a bit warmer and older school. The 210 is a little bit more in your face, punchier and has a little more articulation.

IMO, if you do not have alot of experience, you would be well served to try a bunch of amps out to see if you may fint into one camp more than the other. You might also read reviews that other knowledgeable players pose, reviews that discuss THEIR particular likes and dislikes relative to THEIR preferences.
  5. terribilino

terribilino

That's why I'm keeping my eyes peeled in this forum for any sort of hands-on experience with the two Contour 500s. I've gotten some great feedback so far, but just for the 210.

My problem is that nobody stocks this combo where I live. (I'd posted my lament here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/genz-benz-contour-500-115t-switzerland-876148/, btw) Seeing as you might have someone's ear at Genz Benz (;)), ask them if they're planning to push this combo in Continental Europe (particularly in Switzerland). They've got one customer waiting...

Thanks for the help!
  6. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I did not see any info in your profile about your likes and dislikes.. So it is hard to narrow the margin and find out what you MAY like more.
    What music do you like. What instrument do you play.?

Thanks

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

I didn't realize your location. There are Contours in Europe, but I do not know where... I am in engineering and don't know much about the international sales side of things.
  8. terribilino

terribilino

Well, as I've said, I've only picked up the bass recently, and I don't have nearly as much time to practise as I'd like (the full-time job and the family keep getting in the way!), but all the bassists I admire and wish I could sound like, even only for a few seconds, are pre-80s (Dunn, Prestia, Cogbill, Jamerson, J.P. Jones, Jack Bruce, Joe Osborn, and lots of others I don't know the names of (whoever played bass on the Rocky Horror Picture show album, for instance, or old Elton John, or that guy who played for the Beatles (what was his name again...?)). So I guess you could say classic rock, 60s pop, r & b, and some blues (Tommy Shannon, Johnny B. Gayden (!)). The school orchestra also has done some Floyd in the past, some reggae - various stuff.

So when agedhorse says the '115 has a little rounder tone, maybe a bit warmer and older school', I'm thinking that might be just what I think of when I think of bass. I'm playing a Leduc Pad with rounds, which is similar to an active jazz, and I've got a Fender P-bass with flats as well which I might sell to get a passive jazz with flats (I prefer the jazz neck).

There are tons of bassists I respect from the 80s onwards - that's when I started seriously listening to music, actually, but I just can't see myself playing that stuff (Smiths, Violent Femmes, The Cure, The Pixies ...). The 'in your face, punchier and has a little more articulation' character of the 210 has me wondering if it would still get the sound of all that older stuff.

But who am I kidding - the magic's in the hands, and I just ain't got the magic. Yet! Wait 21 years till I retire, and then I'll start cooking.

Still loving your 210, btw?

Say hi to Texas for me. Everyone I know who's been to Austin says it's magic. Love to see it, some day!

Goodnight from Switzerland!
  9. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    I Love my 210 YES.. I only started to really work it out the past week.. I was doing gigs that i needed my other GB rig...
    I may be is Switzerland again this summer.. Weill let you know if it goes down...

From what you describe .. I have to agree with Angedhorse...I think the 115 would work pretty well for you.. I am using my Uber 115s as a guideline and i will say that they are very articulate for a 115 and I can only surmise that the Contour 115 combo would also have great tight articulation with a round bottom that has control.. But i will say that the CONTOUR control on the combo is a really handy BEEF knob... it adds massiveness to a lightweight combo of only 210 that i have..

Austin is OK.. Like another place.. The grass is always greener..
    but we are coming to the HOT season.. where it can be 110 F each day... or more.. Last year i was in Montreux and Morzine FR So i bypassed the Texas heat...:hyper:

I will say that i have done many outside gigs in the summer on outside stages Festivals and beer joints with my genz benz heads .. while the fan was sucking in that 110 degree air as cooling.. Running the amps fairly LOUD @ 4 ohms (2 cabs) and the amps Never once did anything but perform as you would hope.. Perfectly...
  10. fretwear

fretwear

When you A/B the GB CTR Contour 500 115 vs. 210, there's mention of the 115 being more old school, but very articulate for a 115 .
    Putting in an order tomorrow, at first I was going with the 210, but starting to re-think my choice? Would you say the 210 is bright or hi fi sounding?
    The 115 might be the better choice..........
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

putting in an order where? genz is out of production :(

(alpha does happen to still have a contour 15 combo and 15 extension cab in stock, and i suppose there are still some to be had out there.)
  12. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Check the Hot Deals forum
  13. Joedog

Joedog

According to GB, they still have them in their warehouse. I have one on order w/GC, but it is on backorder status.......arrrgh........
  14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I just got a 115 combo yesterday. The 115 extension cab is coming today. Had to get them from different vendors because the place that sold me the combo did not have any more extension cabs.

Didn't have much time to mess with it yet, but my initial thoughts were that it has great tone for a 115. Lots of power as well. Only thing I wish it had different would be side handles instead of one top handle. Looking forward to messing with it some more. I'm also looking forward to trying my upright through the combo amp without the extension. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do that later today. But the Fender P sounded great through the combo.
  15. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    The 210 is really cool and more hifi to my hearing... Personally i would prefer teh 115 after hearing and playing a few Genz 115 cabs over the years.. I LOVE teh UBER 115 and have yet to find anything that will replace it.. But then I have not been looking... AHHA
  16. fretwear

fretwear

Hey hey, the GB Contour 500 115 arrived today, what a killer combo. This cab is very solid, great amount of tone selection, took all of 2 minutes to dial in that killer GB sound, plenty of power, perfect combo!
    I'd snag one before they are all gonesville............