1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz Contour 500 1x 15" or 2x 10"?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pentatonic, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Pentatonic

Pentatonic

Hi Everyone,

I am just getting back into playing bass after many years away. Getting ready to pull the trigger on one of the Genz-Benz 500 Contour units on closeout.

I am a classic vibe kind of guy, Motown, Beatles, etc., currently playing flat wounds only on my MIM P Bass and my Rogue Beatle bass. Do I want the 1x 15" model or the 2x 10" model?

Thank you!
  2. fretwear

fretwear

3. Icculus

Icculus

I got the 115 combo with the 210 extension cab. Not really sure why, but I'm happy so far, even though I haven't really had the chance to use the cab. I prefer the tone of my GK MB115 a bit more than Genz Benz, but the deal was hard to beat. FWIW, I mostly play a P bass with flats too. I'm considering returning the 115 to Guitar Center and swapping it for the 210… only because I already have a 115.
  4. Pentatonic

Pentatonic

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

I just ordered a 115 combo and am thinking about adding an extension cabinet as well for totally unnecessary overkill (it'll be just a practice amp for now!).

Any issues with mixing a 15" and 2x 10"s?

Thank you.
  5. Icculus

Icculus

Before I bought my combo and cab, I read on TB that the GB speakers are designed to work well together when mixing sizes. I was told that Andy (agedhorse, a Genz Benz engineer) actually stated that on here. Andrew's Music has the extension cabs for $225 shipped… I don't really need mine either but it was too hard to pass up. If you can afford it, go for it.
  6. Icculus

Icculus

Can anyone chime in as to which combo might have more usable volume? I know it's more complicated than this, but I'm basically asking if a 210 = 115?
  7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I can't answer that because I have the 115 and a 115 extension cab. Haven't tried the 210. But the 115 combo has plenty of volume. And then when I combined it with the 115 extension cab it was like hearing the voice of God. ;) I had forgotten how great a 215 rig can sound (and feel!). Rumbles right into your guts!

Didn't really think about how tall they are when stacked together. I sure didn't need them, but couldn't pass them up. I'm thinking I'll feel kinda' foolish playing out with them in this day and age of smaller rigs. But I'm very happy with the sound.