1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz contour 500-210t vs 2x fcs112 vs stl2-210t

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rsint, Nov 4, 2013.

1. rsint

rsint

So here's another one of these "help me decide" threads.....please forgive me in advance.

I'm a very average bassplayer with a Genz Benz streamliner 900 and a 610-XB2, thats set up in our very own private rehearsal space. This means i only ever have to move the rig when we gig. This rig will get me through any gig and in most cases is just pure overkill.
    The problem is that I've now joined a second band and whenever we practice I end up playing on the "whatever there is available, at the rented rehearsal space" crap-combo.

long story short: I need something "schleppable".

I'm contemplating either getting a lightweight speaker config, or the Genz Benz Contour which are all roughly in the same price bracket round my nick'o'the woods.

The only reason I'm contemplating the contour combo is that I recently played one and the sound was fantastic.

So what would you do ?
    - 2x Genz Benz focus 112 + Streamliner 900
    - 1x Genz Benz Stl2-210t + Streamliner 900
    - Genz benz Contour 210
    - Learn to play another instrument :bag:
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Any of those would work fine, the voicing difference between the Streamliner and Contour amps is quite different however.
  3. johnpbass

johnpbass

I really like the Focus cabs. I have the Focus 115s but I've heard the Focus 112s and they sound really good as well. Ed Friedland did a very positive review of them a while back. Don't know about the availability of the Genz stuff at this point though with the Genz line being phased out, but there are some great deals to be had on remaining stock.
  4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

+1. Personally, I'd rather have the combo, so if your head develops any issues or needs service, you'll have a backup.
  5. rsint

rsint

@agedhorse how would the slt2-210t stack up to either one or two fcs-112 ?

Yeah the voicing is quite different between the streamliner and the contour but so are the two bands I'm playing in so that wouldn't be a bad thing.
    I was just blown away by what I expected to be a "cheapish" combo sound and it turned out to sound very very good.
    But since I allready own a nice portable amp I was thinking of just putting the money into the speakers.
  6. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    I would go modular with two 1x12" focus cabinets. Small gigs or impromtu jams and the ability for a band mate to grab one of the cabs is highly increased with a single 12.