Genz Benz Contour CTR500 115 vs. 2 x 10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by klaatu, Feb 6, 2014.

1. klaatu

klaatu

I've been reading some of the feedback about this combo, the Genz Benz Contour CTR500. If I get one it's for my Kala solid body and my acoustic/electric that is on the way. Anyone had some experience with both the 115 and the 2 x 10? Asking which is the better one to get. Looks like a tie to me but someone here may know better. Thanks.
  2. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

There's a thread about these over in the "hot deals" forum right now. They're being cleared out fast for 50% off list or more, so if you're going to grab one, this would be the time to do it.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Do a search on "Contour" and you'll find a ton of stuff, including the links I posted yesterday about scoring the GB 115 combo with a Focus 115 cab for less than 700 bucks new. Two different dealers but so what. Nobody had ordered both combos so you have to draw on your own experience with a 210 vs a 115 cab. A little more punch and clarity with the 210, and litle more round, warmth and focus with a 115 is my experience. Rock'n blues 115, slappin-jazz 210.
  4. klaatu

klaatu

Thanks, good advice. Since my Kala solid body sounds so deep, the 2 x 10 might give it a bit more punch. Either one could be a win from what I've read here so far. I have a GK 115 and the posts here have said that many like the ability to adjust the contour on the Genz Benz as opposed to the on/off switch on the GK 115. I've been playing bass for 4 years and this is where I always go for an opinion that matters.
  5. klaatu

klaatu

Could someone give me the dimensions of this amp? I'm wondering if it will fit in my car. Thanks.
  6. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

7. klaatu

klaatu

Thanks Low Class. Almost the same size as my GK115, just a bit taller. Good fit!
  8. klaatu

klaatu

I've read just about everything I could find regarding the 115 vs 2 x 10. Leaning towards the 2 x 10. My Kala solid body sounds so deep that I'm thinking the 115 would be too deep, if that's possible. I am a bit old school, play Beatles, some Motown/Stax, classic rock, blues, maybe jazz eventually. Don't care much for music beyond the 80's. I already have the GK 115 and it's not too deep for me so maybe I'm making too big a deal about it being too deep and the contour dial would probably give me the tone I want if it sounds to deep to me. Another way that I am looking at the 2 x 10 is that the Kala has the round tone to begin with and the contour dial would give me the option for an old school tone to be dialed in. Such a toss up. Darn, it's such a close call!
  9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Do it quick cuz they'll be gone soon.