1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Genz Benz guys, anyone have trouble fitting a 1/4 plug into speaker jack?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Edword, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Edword

Edword

Today I was troubleshooting a weird scratching noise in an old rig, and needed to test the cab with a properly-working amp. The closest amp at hand was my Shuttlemax 12.0. I always use Neutrik cables with my G-B rig, but in this case the cab I was testing had only a 1/4" jack, and when I tried to plug the speaker cable into the center hole of the SM12, it wouldn't go. I didn't try to force it in, but I thought Neutrik jacks could accept 1/4" plugs if necessary. Is this not the case?

TIA

2. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Ihad the same issue with a Monster cable woth my GBE750, not wanting to break sh*t i got a speakon cable we had lying around in the studio. Nice to have both options though.

3. jlepre

jlepre

I'm pretty sure you can't force that 1/4" jack into that jack on the Shuttlemax 12. You need to have an adapter

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Some of those Neutrik jacks will work with both 1/2" and Speakon, some wont.

If the jack is green it works with both, black is speakon only.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

The speaker outputs on the Max heads are Neutrik only.

The dual mode Neutrik jacks are dark green.

7. Edword

Edword

8. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Not all Speakon plugs will accept 1/4" cables. The Genz Benz Speakon plugs will NOT accept anything but Speakon cables. you'd hafta get a Neutrik to 1/4" cable to make that work. It sucks. I had the same issue when the cab I was gigging with took a crap right before a show started. The club had extra PA cabs they said I could use, but they had 1/4" plugs and my GB SM12 has Neutrik only plugs...that night really sucked.

9. jlepre

jlepre

That's why I carry an adapter in my gig bag.
    [​IMG]

10. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Exactly. I have two of them and extra cables as well.

11. pbass6811

That's a great idea, although this would probably work a bit better...

[​IMG]

12. jlepre

jlepre

Just for curiosity sake how would this work better?

13. pbass6811

Well, the output on the SM12 amp is Neutrik and the input on the speaker cab is 1/4" which is what that cable is. The adapter is fine, which I said, but using the adapter necessitates an extra 1/4" cable, which may or may not be available at that moment. Why carry the adapter AND an extra cable, when all you'd need is an extra cable?

14. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Ya' know...
    Maybe I should put together a short Speakon to 1/4" cable in case I ever run into a situation like pbass6811 ran into. The only 1/4" cables I carry with my bass or PA gear are instrument or ballanced patch cables.

15. pbass6811

I learned my lesson! I carry a Speakon to 1/4" cable in my gig bag. I know if it ever happens again(I have spare cabs now, too! LOL!), I have a good speaker cable to the rescue. It sucks having to carry extra stuff in my bag, but it sucks worse not having a cab to play through at a gig...;)

16. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    I'm thinking about making something small like jlepre posted, but with a male 1/4" plug instead of the female jack. Won't take up much space in the bottom of my "you never know what you might run into" box.

17. jlepre

jlepre

Just make sure it's not TOO short. That's why I think my idea works a little better.

18. pbass6811

True. The idea of a small adapter is a great one. I have a question for you...how short are you talking? If you're going Neutrik to 1/4" male for a bass rig, I'd guess you'd need at least a 2.5'-3' cable, just to have a little slack?

19. pbass6811

The Neutrik to 1/4" female adapter works fantastically, if you plan on also carrying 1/4'' speaker cables or the venue has 1/4" speaker cables they will let you use. One Neutrik to 1/4" male speaker cable that's long enough is all you need to carry. I like your adapter. I definitely think it would come in handy and I wish I'd had one that night my cab died, anything would've been better than nothing.

20. jlepre

jlepre

I didn't make mine. I just bought it off the rack

21. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    I'll only make it 6 or 8 inches long. I have Speakon to Speakon couplers in the "you never know" box.