1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz Neox 112t

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HMZ, Nov 15, 2012.

1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I just bought two neox 112t cabs and I've never been happier with my rig. I use a mark bass LMII and my P bass. In the past I have mostly used 10's. I have used 12's as well but I was never very happy with them. The GB 112 are quick as 10's but sound fuller with punch.
  2. Eublet

Eublet

Those are great cabinets. I used both the Neox 112 and 212 for a long time with either a LMII or Shuttle 6.0, and both were fantastic sounding when paired with those cabs.
  3. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Did you ever push the 112T ? I'm wondering how they would compare with, say, a Berg AE112, or the Baer 112 ?
  4. Eublet

Eublet

I pushed it all the time! Not sure what you mean specifically, but it always sounded great. It's a very warm, round cab with a touch of old school feel in the lows. I haven't heard the Baer ML112 yet, though I am ordering one soon. I bought an AE112, played with it for maybe 30 minutes, and then put it up for sale as I didn't like it at all.
  5. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

I guess I'm wondering if it could carry a no PA support gig with a small band. Looking for a 112 cab solution for a Blues gig. I had the 212T for awhile but found it rather awkward to schlepp. Had kind of a darker tone than most 212's I have used. Sounds the 112T has a similiar tone.
  6. Eublet

Eublet

Hmmm...hard to say. I used it without PA support all the time, but I was also playing with an acoustic group with two percussionists going through the PA. No drums and loud guitars. When I think Blues, I think heavy guitars and the need for a very deep, and thick bass. I don't think any 112 will cover that kind of thing. Need at 212 at least.
  7. Eublet

Eublet

And the Neox 212 weighs under 50lbs. I wouldn't call that a schlepp at all. It's a very easy cabinet to move around, though some dislike the edge-lift handles. The Neox 212 is a very smooth sounding cabinet though. If I were doing a blues gig I'd want an Aguilar DB212 myself. Aggressive, mid-punch, a nice touch of old school, and it has the right look also. It weighs 70lbs though.
  8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I had a 212t as well. It sounded great but I like the flexibility of the two 112's. plus 37lbs for each cab you can beat that.
  9. Eublet

Eublet

Yeah, two of them are great...and since the two 112's together are bigger than the 212, the sound is little fuller and rounder. Great setup.
  10. SilkyStrings

SilkyStrings

Anyone know how these sound compared to the STL-12 cabs from Genz Benz? The shuttle cabs are smaller and lighter still (Neo drivers also) at 27lbs each.
  11. Eublet

Eublet

Yes, I had one of those also. They are great sounding cabs. A little lighter in the low end, but IMO they sound better because they are more focused and punchy.
  12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the neo112t to bergantino HD 112's?
  13. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

I have not, but Greg at Rocket Music has both these in stock right now. He is really good about doing comparisons. He actually has the 112t and 212t on blowout, really good prices.
  14. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

Well, I've played all these cabinets, and while I don't have the refined ear and TalkBass vocabulary that some here have, my thoughts are as follows:

Genz Benz STL-12T: clear, punchy, somewhat lacking in the lows but that's OK if you don't need too much deep bass. Cleaner to my ear than the NeoX-112T.

Genz Benz STL-2-12T: The revised version has quite a bit more going on down low, while retaining the clarity of the original STL-12T. Very nice cabinet, weighs 27 pounds.

Genz Benz NeoX-112T: Strong punchy midrange, gets louder and a bit lower and grindier than the STL-12T. A pair of these would cover most situations. GB just introduced the updated version of this cabinet as well, the NX2-112T, with enhanced lows and weighing in at only 31 pounds (I haven't heard this one).

Bergantino HD112: The strongest down low of the group, maybe a bit scooped in the mid-range, a very loud and nice sounding cabinet. By far the heaviest of the group at 44 pounds.

All very nice cabinets, each with its own strengths.

As always respectfully offered IMHO, and YMMV.

Bob
  15. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I actually have the NX2-112T but I can't compare them to the 112T because I have not heard them.