1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 Loud Pop

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Champion, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Champion

Champion

Today my GB Shuttle 3 developed a loud pop during turn on and off when the amp enter and exit standby. I did not notice it before so I think it is new. I think I may accidentally touch the speaker terminal (the cable has a metal connector) with the guitar lead. I wonder if I have accidentally damaged something but doing that. :crying:

BTW, other than the noise, the amp plays fine. Should I get the amp checked out?

Thanks.

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Suggest contacting Genz Benz customer service after the holidays and prepare to probably send it in where they will get it straightened out for you.

3. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    BASS4yourFace!
    My shuttle max is in the shop now with similar issues. Mine would pop when cutting on and off, but I couldnt even play due to popping and distortion.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

It's possible that you damaged the output muting circuit on your amp, the speaker plug shell is not at ground (as the input is). There is circuitry within the amp to protect (for safety reasons) but it's possible under some circumstances to cause functional damage. If you want to PM me, I can help you get it taken care of.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. agedhorse

Totally different problem (with similar symptoms) as the amplifier topologies between the two models are not even remotely similar. If your shop has any difficulties, they can always contact me and I will walk them through troubleshooting.

7. hgiles

hgiles

AgedHorse, thanks for contributing. I hope youre still around if i ever have a problem with the 3.0 i just bought.

8. Champion

Champion

Thank you so much for your reply. I really didn't expect to hear from GB so quickly during holiday! I have PM'ed you.

Yes, it does sounds like it. I was surpised that the speaker cable shell is actually one of the speaker terminal. I have now put a heat shrink around it to avoid the same problem happening again.

Bummer, I am going to have a jamming session tomorrow ...:atoz:

9. agedhorse

Problems are very few and far between... I had to look at my service docs because I haven't seen one in for repair in quite a while and there are a lot of them out there.

10. Champion

Champion

Just want to say thanks to Andy from Genz Benz (and others who have helped here) for sorting the problem out. The amp now fixed. I am so happy to be able get it working. I have heard a lot of good things about GB customer services in the past and this experience just confirms it. The amp is not new and I am still getting such a great and prompt support from manufacturer - what more can I ask for? Some company won't even bother with your new gear.

I have to say I am now a GB fan and will buy their products in the future. Thanks again.

11. agedhorse