Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 noise problem

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Caution: Rant!

Last year I purchased a new Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 head. Later in the year, the amp failed at a rehearsal. I was getting a lot of static and crackling. Shortly after, I started getting distortion too. Basically, the amp was unusable. After an email exchange with a music store in another city (there are no authorized service centers in Ottawa) I made arrangements to ship it to them. I decided to try the unit one last time before sending it off and lo and behold, the problem had disappeared! So I didn't ship it (with my luck, it would probably work flawlessly at the shop).

I had no further problems until this morning, when I turned it on and heard that same static. The amp hasn't left my house since that fateful rehearsal and it's been sitting in the same location for weeks. I guess I'll have to send it off for repair but I feel like throwing it in the trash and getting something reliable. My Carvin BX500 had issues but the repair process was much simpler (they send a pre-paid postage label to ship it back to them).

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Should've contacted GB directly when the problem first began. They'd have straightened you out.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

maybe you need more power!:bassist:

4. Duckwater

Duckwater

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

PM agedhorse here on TB he can run you through some pretty simple steps that will most likely take care of it.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Contact TB'er Agedhorse, I'm sure he'll be able to help you get whatever problem you have remedied.

8. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

I did contact Agedhorse the first time there was a problem but none of the troubleshooting helped. I also contacted Genz Benz and they recommended I send the amp for servicing.

9. B-string

Wow, sorry to hear that. Sure sounds like an effects loop or ribbon cable problem.

10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

I hate those "ping pong ball in the gas tank" problems with gear. It would be so much better if the darned things would just break. So, sympathize with the frustration.

That said, I believe AH is still set up to help you out; even if it means shipping the danged thing off for a few weeks. MOST of the GB product output is pretty darn reliable, IME. They continue to have a presence here on TB, and provide great product support.

I wouldn't personally characterize them the way the thread title does, but understand the frustration. Try giving AH a shot.

11. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Genz has the best CS around..
    Did you try the Effects Send and receive trick?
    Cycling a Jack in and out of the Send and Return a dozen or so times...Id try that first

12. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Agedhorse had me insert a plug into the return jack (which did not correct the problem). Could you describe the procedure you're suggesting? I'll give it a try. Thanks!

13. hobbes1

hobbes1

i have a shuttle 6.0 been using for awhile. bought it used and a little deOxit needed in the knobs but otherwise, been rock solid. no problems and it's been a great amp. I hope you are able to get your fixed ASAP.

14. B-string

To decisively know if the effects loop (effects return jack) is the problem; plug one end of an instrument cable into the effects send jack and the other end of the cable into the effects return jack. If the amp operates normally then the INTERNAL switching contacts of the return jack need cleaning. This can happen to any make amp with a serial effects loop.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

I can always repair your amp, the challenge is the cost of shipping from Canada. Other than the power amp module (which I am almost 100% sure it's not), there's nothing that can't be fixed on your amp for less than $150 USD plus the shipping. We also go through everything else and be sure that it's right. PM me if you are interested and I will work through your options.

A word about general service shops since this has come up so many times... most of the shops are not well versed or equipped to service the higher technology amps at the component level. Sadly, and some of the other more engineering types on the fourm have confirmed, our industry is loosing people who are interested in making a career out of professional level servicing because of the vast majority of cheap equipment that makes no sense to service because you can buy new for less. This takes away incentive for servicing higher end products which tend to be more reliable. When a tech only sees an amp model only once a year, how can he be expected to be very efficient at knowing the ins and outs? Even I don't see very many amps but the factory folks (in general) tend to be the better bet for all of any manufacturer's better quality products. The more complicated, the better this option becomes IMO. This is especially noteworthy in the pro audio world where SMPS, class D and DSP are the norm.

16. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    B String's suggestion above should also alleviate the issue IF it is the effects loop.

Real fast... Take a 1/4" jack and push it into and out of the Effects SEND and RETURN jacks a dozen or so times...
    If there is corrosion on the jacks it should clean them up. This happens to just about any brand amplifier over time...
    But Like i said, B-Strings Suggestion should do it too.. Just as long as the connection is clean internally..

17. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

I tried both but they didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though!

18. B-string

It was worth the try, a good 95% or better that works. Sorry :(

19. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Is your TUBE OK? Pop the top and see if any of the little WHITE PLASTIC connectors are loose.. Unplug it from the wall first

20. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

If memory serves correctly, I did try that even though AgedHorse said the preamp tube is way to early in the circuit for it to be the cause of the noise.

21. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I have a few 6.0's and the one that I have on my combo was misbehaving like this. I read a few threads in here and tried the effects jack thing and then looked for the mysterious grey jumper (which I never found) and finally pulled and re-seated the preamp tube and the amp has behaved ever since. I use it almost every day at home. Sadly I have been unable to bring myself to take it out to gig since then. It has been a few months though so my confidence is growing.

Wanted to add:

Although I do not gig that 6.0 anymore, I do use my 9.0 or ShuttleMax at my gigs and one of my other 6.0's in church with no issues at all. I do not currently play any other amp brands.