Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 to 6.2: Big difference?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by socialleper, Nov 13, 2012.

1. socialleper

socialleper

I'm shopping around for a mini head and I think I want to give the Shuttle 6.2 or 6.0 a try. There are some great deals on the 6.0, but everyone has said that it doesn't have the same beefiness too it. I tried the 6.2 and liked it, so I don't want to short myself by getting a 6.0 and hating it.
    Is the upgrade in the circuitry of the 6.2 worth the $100-$200 more its going to cost me?
    I'm playing loud, heavy, down tuned metal; not all the way to Mastodon or The Sword, but headed in that direction. It needs to be able to handle me pounding on the B of my $$ Warwick, which the 6.2 seems to be able to do.

HELP!
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yes. Spend the money.

If you are playing that down tuned metal at loud volumes, I would go all the way up to the 9.2 for the type of music you are doing. Save your pennies for another month and get it right the first time:)

Edit: There is a bigger difference between the 6.0 and 6.2 than there is between the 9.0 and 9.2. So, the 'sweet spot' for your needs (at least in the Genz product line) is the Shuttle 9.0, if you can find one. It sounds like a 'louder' 6.2. The 9.2 has just a smidge more ooomph when pushed, but not worth the extra cash IMO if you can find a Shuttle 9.0.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The 6.2 is definitely the better choice, and I would suggest you look into the 9.2. Pair that with a cab that can handle the lows you want. Those frequencies eat up a lot of power.
  4. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    +1, you type faster than I do.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:D
  7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Also, what cabs are you planning on using with your amp choice?
  8. socialleper

socialleper

Some deals popped up with two GK Neo 112 cabs I couldn't resist. When I tried out a 212 Neo I was pretty impressed and I used to have a 410 Neo that I liked.
    It was between these and a pair of Aguilar GS112 cabs. The character of the GS112 is less modern, the GKs have more bite, and the construction is good, although I'm not a fan of carpet sides.
    I decided I'm just going to have to get my feet wet on this one.
  9. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    hmm, just understand that those cabs are just 112's. They are not going to get hugely loud or low. Maybe 150-200 watts true power handling, and be careful with your low EQ as they will quickly come to their mechanical limits. Just be careful with your your volume knob, when the cabs sound like you are pushing them too hard, you are.
  10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

+1. A pair of GK Neo-ll 112s will fart before delivering the kind of music the OP describes at loudish volume.
  11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

This does not equate to two GK Neo 112's.
  12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Those are nice sounding cabs. Of course, as posted above... massive downtuning and big volume, you would get into trouble with most small rigs. They sound good thought.

You might want to consider a GK MB800 to drive those (or MB500 if you are on a bit more of a budget). Sometimes nice to 'keep things in the family', and the GK's match that 'aggressive brightness' you mentioned.
  13. socialleper

socialleper

I recall reading that the circuit changes to the 6.2 were already in the 9.0. Does that sound right?
  14. socialleper

socialleper

When I started a thread about using 12s (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/help-me-get-over-my-fear-1x12-930940/) everyone said it was doable. I had my reservations about the abilities of a 12" speaker, which most people said were unfounded. I've already ordered so I hope I'm going the right way.
    There weren't a lot of options for cabs. Only GK and Aguilar have stock in the entire LA county area. For Genz Benz or Bergs I would need to drive to San Diego or the Bay Area. That isn't happening. (Seriously W T F! No Warwick dealers either.)
  15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    And those are good 112's, and in that thread you said you were looking good hefty tone, I didnt see any statement of volume in your OP there. No way they are competing with a 215, 610, or 810 cabs though.

But you want loud, down tuned, metal speakers. In that genre there is no replacement for displacement. I wouldnt consider any pair of full range 12" speakers as viable. You either need a lot of low displacement speakers, or a few high displacement speakers.

It boils down to what are your true restrictions: Size, weight, cost, volume, tone, price?

Price is a big hurdle for sure, but if you are not heard it doesnt matter how good you sound. Size and weight can go hand in hand, but they are not cheap options if you need to remain loud. You have to figure out what trade offs matter most.

For perspective, I play in a progressive rock/psychedelic metal band. This is my rig.
    [​IMG]
  16. socialleper

socialleper

OK, now we are on the same page. This is designed to be a small rig. I drive a Mazda 3 4 door, so whatever I get has to fit in there. I used to have a great GK 410 Neo but then I bought my new car and without thinking about it, I suddenly discovered that I couldn't wedge it in there anymore. I sold that 2 years ago and have been practicing with a Ampeg BA115HP since. I recently got myself back into the game, and while the Ampeg does a really decent job, it falls just a little shy against drums and a Marshall half-stack when practicing.
    My thought process is that if a 1x15 @ 220w is almost there, than x2 112s running around 350w-400w should be fine. If we get a gig, most places will want to DI the bass through the PA anyway. Since we aren't playing music conducive to getting gigs at weddings, outdoor fairs, or coffee houses, I'm figuring that's a safe bet.
    I'm also hedging a little. This isn't my first rodeo; I'm tired of buying tons of gear to prep for shows that never come. When I had a Mesa Boogie Bass 400 (not the +) and a full 410+115 stack I only ever got to use the hole thing at volume twice in about 8 years. That's a lot of gear for nothing but practicing.
  17. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Iff the 115 meets your needs the two 112's might hold up to what you need. That will really depend on the rest of the band you are playing with. I would still push you to the larger amp, that way should you need it you can borrow a larger cab.
  18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Basically yes. The attenuated low end was 'removed' from the 6.0 in the updated 6.2 model, along with a few other tweaks in both the 6.2 and 9.2 (modified power management, a slightly hotter input gain that allows for more overdrive if you push the tube, and slighty revoiced voicing buttons).
  19. socialleper

socialleper

Makes sense. The head can be used on a bigger rig later if things go well. Big cabs are just a pain if you aren't using them. I'm sure that setup you have is awesome, but I can't easily foresee a path for me that would require that much juice.
    I think I've found some good deals on clearance, yet "new", Shuttle 9.0 heads. I know its totally stupid, but there is something about the design and feel of the GK MB heads that I don't like. The Shuttles feel more sturdy; based completely on nothing.