Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 combo 112 or 210?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lakeguy, Feb 27, 2012.

1. lakeguy

lakeguy

I am an up and coming bass player that wants to get beyond a practice amp. I currently have an Acoustic B20 that has served me well for it's intended purpose. I now want to move on up to something bigger and better as far as volume and sound goes. I would like to hear what my bass is supposed to sound like through a good amp and cab.

I have been hearing good things about the Genz Benz products and I like the features of the Shuttle 6.2 combo but not sure on the cab choice. You can get it with either the 112 or 210 cab. Would even think of someday doubling that up to run 2 112's or 2 210's. Which would be the better choice of cabs? I know the 210 costs more but not to worried about that, just what would give me the best bass sound.

The 6.2 combo would still be used for practice but also for church praise and worship and or small gigs.

Current basses are a Fender American Standard Jazz and a 1978 Peavey T-40.

thanks in advance

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

They will each sound a bit different, so that's preference, but overall, I would think 4 10's would get louder than 2 12's, if that influences your choice. You're definitely on the right track looking a 2x the same cab, either way.

3. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I think the 210s will be louder than the 112 ... but either one would be a good choice. Whatever you get consider getting an identical cab down the road if need be and make sure you get an 8 ohm cab that way you cold add another in the future. I ran a Schroeder 1212L 8ohm (@375W) & 4 ohm (@600W) through my 6.0 and my 9.0 (500W/900W respectively) and there wasn't a huge difference in the volume from the extra wattage.. There was some .. but not a lot in the bigger scheme of things..If you were to get the 210 cab consider than an additional 210 would give you 410s and the additional 112 would give you 212s.. I currently use an Avatar B212 at my church with no intention of adding another cab to it .. but at home and on outside stuff that we do I bring a 115.

4. dog1

dog1

Disclosures:
    Builder: Bottom Line Bass Cabinets
    I dunno. My 2-112's will out preform most 410's. But, as per your question. I use GB amps exclusively. I would buy the 112, and then add a 112 if needed. As for ohms....my GB stuff is 2 ohm stable. So, 2- 4 ohm cabs would work. I do not know why it seems as though everyone assumes that all bass amps are only 4 ohm stable. Shoot, even most Peavey amps are rated at 2 ohms. If you amp will only safely operate at 4 ohms, maybe you should look to another manufacturer.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbobh

bassbobh

Just test drove a GB Shuttle through 2 1x12 GB cabs.....loud 3 piece Classic Rock.... Thumpy with high end pop on the D and G strings.....plenty loud enough, good clean sound....picking it up next weekend for keeps....perfect for medium to small gigs.

7. rodl2005

rodl2005

Afaik, the GB Shuttle range only go to 4 ohms, no lower. My GB Shuttle 6.0 does all I need it to. Great amp! & the fact that it fits in yr gig bag & weighs next to nothing AND has a tube pre that'll give a nice grind is all icing!!!
    I'd go for the 210 (& another later) IF volume is an issue, but I, personally use mine into 12"s & love it. It'll give you a ton of noise outta 2x12"s.
    As Rickenboogie said-that's a preference issue tho- the sound/tone of the 210 v 112

8. lakeguy

lakeguy

I think I am going to go with the STL-12T cab. I really don't need to be all that loud, but if I need to I'll just add another STL-12T cab. A stack of 2 210's would look awful good though.:)

I usually do most of my online shopping at Guitar Center but the GC website doesn't have any GB amps listed although the GB website lists GC as a retailer. I called GC and the guy I talked to said the only thing he could find in the GB line was used equipment. I know Musician's Friend has GB amps on their website but not the Shuttle 6.2. I have searched other places that carries them but am not that familiar with the retailers. Any recommendations on reputable, low cost place to purchase GB equipment?

Thanks

9. chiplexic

chiplexic

There are lots of Genz Benz retailers selling on EBay. Do a "completed listing" advanced search and you'll get a good idea which seller lets GB equipment go for the lowest prices. This helps especially on "make offer" auctions.

10. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

Check out Greg at rocket music.

11. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Check out the NEOX 112-T over the SLT 112-T. Much more bottom end, but heavier, of course.

12. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

Greg at Rocket Music and Glenn at Bass Specialties are both great to work with and can help you out (Glenn has a special going on Genz Benz stuff right now). Also, while the NeoX-112T is much beefier than the original STL-12T, I wonder how the new beefed-up STL-2-12T compares to the NeoX-112T.

Bob

13. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

I just got the 6.2 2x10 combo and the 2x10 ext. cab.

The best amp I ever bought! Loud, light, and can give you any sound you want (from clean to overdrive).

The 2x10's are louder than the 1x12's. Look at the specs -

1x12 Shuttle Series | GENZ BENZ

2x10 Shuttle Series | GENZ BENZ

:bassist:

14. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Supporting Member

I highly recommend Greg at Rocket Music. That's where I got mine.

:smug: