Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2 VS. Carvin BX500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

Ok so looking at picking up a Class D Lightweight amp

Have a guy on the Hook that has a Shuttle 6.2 for roughly $375.00 used (and i found a place that is blowing them out for 399.00 NEW!)

but i can grab a BX500 on sale right now for 350.00

after listening to samples on-line i'm actually leaning towards the Carvin

But Genz get a lot of love around here

I can't try either out before buying what would you do?

2. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

I have a Genz 6.2 and a Genz Streamliner 600. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to get the Carvin though. My previous two amplifiers were carvins and if the BX500 had been around when I bought my Streamliner I would have given it very serious consideration. Its a very well respected amp.

3. MyMusic

MyMusic

4. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NWB

NWB

The Shuttle will likely have better build quality.

7. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

The one thing about many of the Class D units available today is they all require a decent limiter to deal with the abrupt way the power supplies and amp modules reach their power limits. It's with this in mind that I'd recommend the Genz Shuttle .2 series as it's 3DPM is really one of the best designed limiters I've had the pleasure of playing through.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Carvin's limiters have been described in glowing terms in Bass Gear and other mags. Not saying it's a better limiter, but it works very well.

The thing I remember from people who have owned both models is the Carvin seemed alot more powerful, bigger, fuller, etc... It also can drive a pair of 4 ohm cabs. It also isn't going away (company) and the Carvin will be new and under warranty.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I currently own the 6.2 and the Carvin BX1500, and I sometimes only use one side of it. The Carvin definitely has more EQ options, with both a semi-para, and/or graphic eq. You can really narrow down some freq. responses that the GB can't. There is also a compressor, which I find useful for slapping and popping. If you need some high end zing, I would give the nod to the GB, as those little buttons really make a difference. Schleppability also goes to the GB, as it fits in a small carry bag, as opposed to the Carvin which almost needs to be rackmounted, although a hard case is available from Carvin. ( it weighs more than the amp ! ) The GB definitely is an improvemnet over the 6.0, at least in the low end, which seems to have been tightened up a little, but again, I would give the nod to the Carvin with it's plentiful EQ options. Build quality ? Probably the GB, as it seems to be built like a small tank, as opposed to the Carvin which seems a little cheaper made, although I have had no complaints, and keep mine rackmounted. So, why do I own both? Simply because the GB is a good grab and go head with decent power for smaller gigs, or for long haul from the parking lot types of setups. But, put me on a desert island with only one ? The Carvin would be my choice.

10. Handyman

Handyman

Yes, the Genz Benz amps are built like tanks. The Carvin, however, is still pretty well built and has much more versatile EQ. I'd consider the BX series amps more like the GB Shuttle Max series, feature wise.

I presume the OP is thinking of buying a new BX500, which is the way to go. The early BX series amps had some issues which have since been worked out.

My current amp is a Shuttle Max 9.2, but should it ever explode after the warranty is up the Carvin BX amps would be on the top of my list.

11. lazarusdoom

lazarusdoom Supporting Member

i am, and have been happy with my BX500 for quite a while now. :ninja:

12. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I'm a Carvin guy when it comes to amps. Although the shuttle is very good, I would still go with the Carvin.

13. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

thanks guys for weighing in.....

Especially user Jnewmark for confirming what i was hearing in the Demo's...I was favoring the Carvin in terms of sound already..

I think it's currently the best deal out there in Terms of new...

14. Gecko 5

Gecko 5

I was just going to post a new thread with this same question.
    I'm going Carvin

15. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I'll weigh in again. There are some good deals out there for the GB Shuttle 6.2. You can't beat it for portability. However, as most of you probably know by now, the BX500 has been upgraded to the BX700, and is a pretty good deal itself. If going to 2 ohms is something you may want to do, the Carvin is a no brainer. Also beefed up to the 4 ohm load of 550 watts, it's in the 6.2's neighborhood of 600 watts. They are also on sale ( BX500 ), but I read there are limited quantities. If you are not in a hurry, I would wait on the BX700 a little while until we see if there are any first gen problems. Otherwise, it's a toss up between the BX500 ( if you can still get one ), and the 6.2.

16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

To be fair I read comparisons between the 6.0 and the Carvin, not the 6.2. From what I've read recently, the 6.2 is better. I have two Carvin amps already and would grab the GB (399.00) at Amazon in a heartbeat. Be nice since they will be history soon.

17. rapidfirerob

Seems the $399 deal at Amazon for the 6.2 is now gone, up to $671. :(

18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

That sucks. I told at least 4 posters to buy one at 399.00 in the last two weeks.

:rollno:

19. vickde

vickde Supporting Member

Same deal ($399) from the same seller on the Bay. Seller says more than 10 to sell as of this afternoon.

20. rapidfirerob

Good news. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 6.2 from my 6.0 in the near future.

21. NWB

NWB

Carvins are very good amps.

I'll note that the GB amps are designed and built with serviceability/repairability in mind so that your SM 9.2 could still have a very long life if anything happens to it.