Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 Appreciation Thread Part II Shuttle 9.2 included

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Red Planet, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
  2. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

+1 to that sir. It's probably the last amplifier I will buy assuming it doesn't die on me.

I'm having scratchy gain and master vol. pots so I emailed Jeff Genzler about it wondering what's up with 'em. Hopefully it's something simple.

3. Limeman

Limeman Supporting Member

I have a Shuttle Max 9.2 and a Shuttle 9.2. I am actually liking the Shuttle 9.2 better right now - could be the simplicity vs. the over-whelming options of the SM, or possibly the smaller size/lighter weight (like the SM is a pig, right?) - but one thing I do know I'm liking better is the voicing of the low-boost filter on the Shuttle 9.2 vs. the Shuttle Max 9.2. I know the SM has the ability the vary the filter, unlike the Shuttle, which is fixed, and I suppose you can dial in the exact same high-pass with the SM (I tried but failed), but whatever GB did with the Shuttle 9.2, I like it! The amp has girth to notes I haven't felt since my Mesa Walkabout stole my heart. Sweet!!!

4. domestique

domestique Supporting Member

While I do not have the 9.0 or 9.2 I am still loving my ShuttleMax 9.2 paried with two fEARfuls 15/6/1s

I use the FET channel as flat and transparent as possible to run my effects through (VT bass deluxe, fuzz, etc. etc.) and use the tube channel to add some grind when the gig doesn't call for my entire pedal board.

Lately, I have been blending the channels with some very nice results.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    I have been liking the 9.0 for some time now. You just can't beat it. I got a Streamliner and while it's a great amp for that tubey gooshy thing I prefer the 9.0. At some point I may shead it for a 9.2 or even another 9.0.

I agree you cannont beat the form factor of the Shuttle size/weight/footprint/simplicity. I had a Max 12.0 and while it is an amazing sounding amp just way more options than I needed.

I'd like to the difference between the 9.0 and the 9.2.

7. Musicman20

Musicman20

Agreed on wanting to know the difference between the 9.0 and 9.2 (non Max)...from a gig perspective...I wonder how big the difference is.

Is it worth getting a cheaper 9.0 now before they stop production and getting it for a bargain, or saving and waiting for a 9.2? Hmm.

8. rodl2005

rodl2005

I've got the 6.0 & am sub'd.
    It's got enough headroom for my needs &, well yes, the design, size, tone & tone shaping abilities are just astounding.
    It's with me at every gig. Either as my main squeeze, or-superb-back-up.

9. Limeman

I believe the 9.2 is different compared to the 9.0 in three areas: 1. A slight re-voicing of the shape filter frequencies, 2. The use of 3DPM power limiting, which sounds and feels REALLY GOOD when you hit the power output limits of the amp. It feels very tube-like in the low-end when the 3DPM kicks in. Good stuff. And finally, 3. The gain has been re-vamped to allow for more tonal possibilities - that is, more distortion and grit than with the 9.0. I believe those are the only real differences between the two amps.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    I have not heard anything about re-voicing the shape filters.

11. Limeman

Hi. I haven't personally played the 6.2, but both Kjung and Ed Friedland had a chance to review the Shuttle 6.2 shortly before it was released. I got the info I mentioned from them.

Here is Ken's post:

Ed's review is very helpful as well....

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 Combo - YouTube

12. Musicman20

Musicman20

I got a great email from Jeff Genzler, and unless he missed it out, the filter buttons weren't mentioned to be different between the 9.0 and 9.2...but perhaps they are! :)

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    That is the new 6.2. It got the HP filtering of the 9.0. The 9.0 already had this.This has nothing to do with the Shuttle 9.2.

The HPF is where the lower limit cutoff is not the Shaping Controls.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    So the only differences between the 9.0 and 9.2 are the extra gain, 3DPM, and some slight cosmetic differences.

15. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.

That's the way I read it, and count me in as one who prefers the 9.0 over the ShuttleMax 9.

16. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass Supporting Member

I think the only amp that could steal my heart from the 9.0/9.2 is a solid state pre version (9.2S ?). I stress COULD, because I can't tell until I hear it but would love to try the Genz Benz solid state pre verses the tube without the large size plethora of knobs that come with the max series. Seems their solid state pre gets great reviews and has me interested.

I've come to love my GB with minimal knob tweaking so all those Max knobs would be wasted on me, 9.0 interface is perfect though.

17. Limeman

Agreed, but once again, I believe the shape filters have also been slightly modified between the 9.0 and the 9.2.

Maybe Agedhorse can chime in here???

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Yes, very slight modification (or refinement) to compliment the 3DPM.

19. Musicman20

Musicman20

Still tempted on the 9.0 despite the changes, but we shall see :)

20. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    So what is the refinement, inquiring minds want to know?

First I have seen mention of this anywhere is in this thread. You learn something new every day.

I would be curious as to what the tonal/feel differences are to the Shuttle 9.2.

21. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Very subtle alteration to Q/slope... really it's a fairly minor change, maybe a little bit rounder but when you consider the whole package, including the 3DPM, it's hard to assign attributes of each part to the overall sound. It's part and parcel of the package.