1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 Going to Protect Mode

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DrBone, Dec 5, 2013.

1. DrBone

DrBone

I was playing the other night with a band and was switching back and forth between GK 1001RB head they had in the room and my Shuttle 9.0 to get a feel for the differences. The stack was an Hartke 15" and an Eden Nemesis 4x10. The GK was cooking along no problem and keeping up with the rest of the band fine, but when I switched to my Shuttle it would temporarily cut out and the Protect LED would come on, usually only for a second or two. It seemed to happen when I was hitting notes harder than usual and especially if I dropped a hard low B. The limit light never came on, nor did the input overload light in the preamp section. I turned it down some both at the master and the preamp but it continued to happen. Any idea what might be the cause?
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Are you POSITIVE that both cabinets were 8 ohms? If one was 4 ohms, the parallel connection would be less than the amp's minimum rated load capability of 4 ohms.

I'm 99% sure this is the cause.
  3. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I believe that Eden Nemesis 4x10 box is 4 ohms.. So that combined with the hartke would drop your load BELOW the recommended lowest load for the 9.0..
    Andy (agedhorse) would know better than anyone... I follow his lead and concur that the load is most likely too low with both cabs,, Pick one or the other and see what happens.
  4. agedhorse

I think the 410 was made in both 4 ohm and 8 ohm but I would bet that the 4 ohm version outsold the 8 ohm version by a mile. That's why I suspect the problem is due to a <4 ohm total load.
  5. DrBone

DrBone

I suppose that would make the most sense. I assumed they were both 8ohm cabs because the GK 1001 isn't rated for anything below 4ohms as far as I know. I'll check them out a little closer if I get the chance to play them again. That's a nice circuit that keep me from frying my amp with my assumptions though!
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The protect circuit is older and not as sophisticated in the G-K. Chances are at 2.67 ohm load you would go into overheat shutdown at some point.
  7. agedhorse

This would be my expectation as well.