1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 running out of headroom?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cricketfever32, Nov 19, 2012.

1. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

Hey guys, I have a shuttle 9.0 and 2 epifani t-112 NYC's and I took it out for a gig yesterday and somehow found myself pretty much maxing out the head while keeping up with 2 solid state half stacks. Can anyone point out what I could possibly be doing wrong? Both Gain and output knobs were at 1 o'clock, no eq except a small dip in the 700hz to equalize the rig to the room. Or do I just need a more powerful head? Or cabs?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

That head has "Gain", "Input Volume", and "Master Volume" knobs. You had them all at 1 oclock and your 112 cabs weren't blown?
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

First, don't listen with your eyes. That amp uses audiotaper pots, and doesn't even start to crank at those knob settings (assuming you don't have the hottest output bass in history).

The beautiful thing about the audiotaper design is that you have very nice control of volume increases, since the increase in volume is very steady through most of the knob taper.

For most input settings, that amp continues to increase in volume through 3 o'clock on the master volume knob, and won't really start to crank until you get it past noon.

Also, remember that the volume and gain controls at the front end of the signal interact. At reasonable low gain settings, you might need to crank that volume control to 3 o'clock (for example) to get an optimal signal into the power amp.

Finally, the 'boost' button (or whatever it is called) is kind of a 'reverse pad' button, designed to allow low output basses to push the input stage a bit. Don't be afraid to engage that. The Streamliner, IMO, sounds best with the input gain pushed a bit.

And... well, finally finally:p, the output clip light is not really a clip indicator, but rather an indication that you are hitting the very nice Genz power management system, which gives you a bit of the feel of a tube power section compressing a bit when pushed. While I wouldn't run the amp with the light on all the time, having that indicator blink on your hardest, lowest hits is actually a good thing.
  4. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

nope. They were fine. I had the master volume at 12 o'clock, and the gain and input volume at 1 o'clock. I have a very quiet bass, passive 5 string jazz with lane poor humbuckers.
  5. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

Huh. I figured I wasn't suppost to hit that output compressor since it's a big yellow light saying "HEY LOOK AT ME I'M ON ALL THE TIME" And that's what I was trying to avoid, but if that's the case then I'll give the rig another run at stage volumes today and see what happens. Best part about the Epifani's, and the main reason I got them besides being Epifani, was the insane power handling for peaks transients.
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There you go. With a low output bass, you can easily put the input gain to 3 o'clock and the volume close to that, or engage the 'boost' switch and use your current settings.
  7. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

Thank you! I will definitely keep that in tone setting in mind. Definitely doesn't behave like my old Ampeg SVT-3 PRO.
  8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yeah, it is a bit of a different design. If that indicator is coming on only occasionally at your hardest, lowest hits, you are in good shape.

That all being said, the 900 watts of the (edit) Shuttle is, well, in my experience, a bit 'hopeful' (they use some clever power management and heat reduction circuitry to squeeze every bit of juice out of that particular ICE power module... very nice design and 'tweak'). Again, the head cranks, and will outperform most of the 500-600 watt micro's. Will it wump like the DB750 or the Mesa M9, IME, no. It should be able to drive those Epi's to full performance though.
  9. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

I've been considering the DB 750 for a giant non-switching power supply amp and see how that fares with the 2 1x12 rig. any opinions/predispositions as to how that'll work in comparison to the shuttle 9? and yea the 900 watts is definitely quite hopeful but I figured I was doing something wrong in there, womp.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I think you need more speakers (push more air). The 2x12's wil only give you so much. With that amp and you fighting 2 big guitar rigs, I'd be rocking 2 4x10's.
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 in that no matter how you EQ, and want the quality of the components are, 2 x 112 is only going to push so much air if you are in a situation that is stupid loud.
  12. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

Actually KJung, I don't own the streamliner, I have the Shuttle 9.0.

+1 to the shuttle's articulation. it's definitely helped my playing just by reproducing all of the little nuances in my playing.
  13. shoot-r

shoot-r

BIG +1!!!

I ran a G.K.800 (only 300 watts at 4 ohms) into a 4 ohm SVT 810 cabinet for years in some unbelievably loud groups (full stack Marshall's) on some very large stages...
    They were usually yelling for me to bring my level down.
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

aaaargh..... I'm a dope then. While the 'clip light' info I provided, and also the 'audiotaper pot' sort of thing is still accurate, all my blah blah about the tone settings and 'interactivity' can be ignored. Sorry about that. I'm so used to guys having issues with the Streamliner 'out of the box', that I was in 'Streamliner learning curve' mode. I'll edit my posts to get rid of all of that!

Sorry about that. I'm not a bit fan of the Shuttle 9 myself. Doesn't have quite as much ooomph as the Streamliner or Max 9.2 to my ear, and it 'needs' a boost in the low end and the lower mids (IMO) to fatten up, which leaves nothing left to control the bright top end (for my tone goals). I also find the 'all or nothing' voicing buttons to extreme to be particularly useful. Still a nice head though, and should actually match up nicely with your cabs.

Edit: OK, I think I fixed my mess on all the Streamliner EQ talk about.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I agree fully. You are trying to get by with half the cone area your guitar players are using. That's a no win situation. If they will not turn down and you want to keep up, double your speaker count.
  16. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

Luckily last nights gig was a one off with a pop-punk band. My real band's a 3 piece and this rig is so perfect for it. BUT now with KJung's revised inputs on the set up, I think it's time for a DB 750. Extra weight but gobs more power.
  17. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Still going to run into volume limitations with your cabs, Seeing as the Agi is 2 Ohm stable, I would find a third (or 4th) matching 112.
  18. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

More power won't help. The shuttle 9 can definitely max out your cabs.
  19. rodl2005

rodl2005

Wow! I can quite easily max out 2 112"cabs with a 500w micro amp. I've 2 Berg AE112's
    Ya NEED more speaker area!
    Or you'll kill ur speakers.
  20. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    Bass is two 1x12 cabs vs two 4x12 guitar cabs. You need cones ;P tasty cones ;) I would be rocking two 4x10's or more. That is a lot of guitar to keep up with assuming the guitarists don't comprehend turning down and the drummer isn't Mr. Hammerfists.