Genz Benz shuttle vs. shuttle 2

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by volerium, Feb 16, 2013.

1. volerium

volerium

Can anyone tell me the difference between the shuttle series and the shuttle 2 series? I've looked on the site and pictures of both heads, the controls are the same. And since they still sell both series I'm wondering what's the difference between the two? Thanks in advance
  2. Limeman

Limeman Supporting Member

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

With the Shuttle 9.2 and the Max 12.2, the differences are quite subtle and no big deal (versus the 9 and 12). A slighty hotter gain (to allow for more overdrive if wanted), a new power management system that results in a touch more fatness when pushed, and with the Shuttle 9.2, a slight revoicing of the voicing filters. So, just a tweak and update.

With the Shuttle 6.2, all of the above, but also a complete revoicing of the low end. With the 6, the low end was purposely attenuated a bit to optimize that head with the small original Shuttle cabs. The Shuttle 6.2 is now basically a lower powered Shuttle 9.2.. full low end, and the Shuttle cabs have been very much beefed up.

The Max 9.2 has always been the 'Max 9.2'.
  4. woody357

woody357

I just brought two focus 112 cabinets, I want to add a Genz Benz head with them, but really don't know what any of them sound like! I play in a eleven member wedding band, so we go from jazz, to pop, to old school R&B. my main amp is a Eden wt550", on a epifani PS410. That set up is over kill sometimes, so I wanted a smaller foot print, and no the new stuff is not to replace my main setup! I welcome all the help I can get!!!!
  5. Limeman

Limeman Supporting Member

Get the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2. 600 watts with the two Focus 112s and really great sound. Wouldn't think twice about it. :bassist:
  6. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

Yep, that will be a fantastic sounding rig!
  7. woody357

woody357

I was thinking about the Shuttle .2 stuff, but maybe the 9.2, for added head room, so if I wanted to use it with my Epifani it would have the head room when I push it! I know the Focus 112 is rated @ 200 watts, so I'd have to be smart about using the 9.2! Do you think it would be too much, for them. On most gigs my amp is for stage volume, because I.m coming threw the mains. My main amp would be used more when I need a bigger sound and more presents!
  8. Libersolis

Libersolis

I just got mine a few days ago. It's the best amp I have ever owned. So light, pristine sound, great routing options, extremely light and portable.

I am playing it through the older 6.0 extension cab (2 10's). GenzBenzShutle6.2.jpg
  9. woody357

woody357

Nice!!!!!
  10. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    A Shuttlemax can sound pretty much however you want it to sound. Switchable/mixable channels each with Low, High and 2 semi-paramentic mid EQ.
  11. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I just got a 6.2, and love the voicing, the sound, and I kinda dig the "toy amp form factor" with the bootyshaking performance.
  12. volerium

volerium

Just got a Shuttle max 12.2 about a week ago and loving it so far. I'm really kind of curious about whether this thing could push 2 8x10 cabinets... any thoughts? The head can run two separate 4 ohm loads at 600 watts each so by numbers I'm thinking yes it can but damned if I believe it. It's so light and small! If anyone's tried that, lemme know. I might start a new thread later on just in case
  13. Lukejt

Lukejt

Dude, it will easily do the job. You're going to have insane tone and power. My puny MB200 rocks an 8x10. Have fun!

14. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

No problem. That was one of our test rigs and IMO it really was impressive sounding. I think ken may have played it at namm a couple of years ago

15. MrCool84

MrCool84 Supporting Member

Besides the headroom, will i lose tons of versitility if i go with the single channel 6.2? i need an amp to go with my Berg CN212. I kinda wish they made a shuttlemax 6.2. Thanks for ur insights in advance.
  16. MrCool84

MrCool84 Supporting Member

Anybody?
  17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I've owned the (old) Shuttle 6.0 Shuttle 9.0 and now I have the Max 9.2. The dual pre-amp set up was what sold me on the Max 9.2 I need to get two distinct tone settings and this allows me to do that instantly using the footswitch. Otherwise, I needed to lean on either the pre-amp on my bass or an EQ foot pedal arrangement. This head has solved ALL that for me, PLUS the Max series allows you to tailor the amount of change you get from the 3 tone shaping controls that are "post" the preamp but "pre" the power amp section. (Low boost, mid cut, Highs boost)

FWIW, the Max series offers substantial advantages.
  18. woody357

woody357

My mini setup, I just got the shuttle 6.2 yesterday!! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1362678417.556841.jpg
    It won't take the place of Myanmar setup, but will bet work horse when I don't need a bigger sound!!!
  19. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Awesome.

I love the shuttle.
    Had mine over a year and still lovin it.
    Run mine through 2 epifani 112s = awesomeness
    Have run it through an SWR 410..also awesome.
    Can be loud and crispity clean if I want..
    Loud and warm if I want..
    loudn n hairy if i want..
    even quiet n hairy..if for some reason Id want that.
    This thing is good.

And to the guy that was concerened about the sound..?..
    Im sure you can dial in all the tones you'll need for all those differnt music styles.

GB = Awesome... friggin dopety fresh.

JMO..(maybe yours too)
  20. woody357

woody357

I look forward to trying the 6.2 with my Epifani PS410!