1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2 - how dangerous is when the peak light is flashing?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by goran, Mar 12, 2014.

1. goran

goran

First, I greatly enjoy my Shuttlemax 9.2. I love the feature set, power and weight. It just fits my current needs perfectly. I run it with either a single or a pair of Orange SP212s. The pair is rarely needed as I can get by with one SP212 for most of my gigs and rehearsals.

I noticed that, when I start to pump a lot of low end in certain songs, the peak indicator flashes. While this is something I would usually try to avoid, given the implementation of 3DPM in X.2 Genz heads, how dangerous this can be? I don't hear any audible sound degradation when this happens, the cabinet doesn't show any sign of stress, but I'm still curious - would anything bad happen to the amp if I was totally ignorant, turned master to max and play it in a way so the peak light is "on" all the time?

2. j0616bass

j0616bass

From my understanding, the light flashing is perfectly fine and within normal operating parameters. If it's on constantly, you might have issues.

3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    From the manual:

"Under high output conditions it is normal that this LED will light with the strongest pulses of the signal. Driving hard beyond this point will cause the amplifier to gradually begin audible distortion."

4. KJung

KJung

The 'power peak light' on the Genz amps is just an indication that the power management emulation circuitry is kicking in. So, it is kind of an indication that the 'tube power amp emulation' type circuitry is kicking in. The Genz engineers indicated on various Genz TB threads that there is still significant headroom left in the power section, but eventually, just like a tube power section, mild distortion will start to occur.

Zero issue if that indicator is lighting up regularly when you dig in (many believe that is when the amps start sounding their best). If it literally stays on all the time, then you might need more cabs, etc.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

+1

I have the ShuttleMax 9.2 and really like the 3DPM circuit. It sort of changes the somewhat surgical tone of the Shuttle into a more organic feeling amp. IME. YMMV.

7. goran

goran

I understand everything said so far, and I still appreciate it because it can help someone else who reads this thread.

What I initially wanted to know, and still isn't answered is: from a technical perspective, does 3DPM limiter work in a way that it can prevent damage to the rest of the circuit, even if it hypothetically worked all the time? Since it is so musically sounding (unlike the LMII/LMIII limiter), someone could disregard peak light and continue playing amp. Could that damage the amp?

And just for the record, I never got it to flash when I used 2 cabs, only rarely with one.

Thanks!

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

If the LED is on all the time, you are way beyond the design parameters of the amp. The 3DPM manages the peak to average ratios that are persent in the attack and decay modulation envelopes of the bass signal. If you drive it so hard that you have taken away these naturally occuring dynamics you may experience the amp shutting down to protect itself as well as the speakers that are connected to it. Speakers are also rated with respect to these dynamics and since both go hand in hand, driving an amp this hard is not a good idea.

Hope this helps.

9. goran

goran

Yes, it definitely helps and this is the answer I was looking for, thank you!