1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

genz benz shuttlemax w/ headphones

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by volerium, Jan 28, 2014.

1. volerium

volerium

Currently without cab...

I have a Genz shuttlemax 12.2 (tube pre, solid power) and wondering if I can play through the headphones only on this

I heard something about using tube amps with no speakers connected messes em up so I didn't want to risk it here.

Thanks in advance
  2. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

Amps with tube power sections, yeah, as far as I know, you don't want to run those without a load. Tube pre, different story. You should be fine running the Max without a cab connected and, I think, solid state amps in general, with a very few exceptions.

I had a Max 12.0 for awhile and am pretty sure I used it as a pre and/or practiced with headphones a couple of times. Have not run into any issues doing similar with any of the other solid state heads I've owned.
  3. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

You're fine - the ShuttleMax doesn't have a tube power section. If it did it would weigh much, much more.

Besides, what would be the use of a headphone output if you could only use it when plugged into a speaker cab? :)
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Not a problem, play away!
  5. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

Which reminds me, I do just this with my own Shuttle Max after the kids go to sleep. Headphones + the aux in make for a great practice setup.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

That's exactly what it was designed for, works great in hotel rooms for the touring guys too.
  7. volerium

volerium

Just wrapped up from that. Verrry happy with this little beast of an amp. Haven't tried the aux in with headphones yet, think I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks for the quick replies. Also, this is just an opinion but I'm thinking this SM 12.2 is like the swiss army knife of class D amp heads. Can't imagine a more powerful and versatile amp