1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz speaker blown

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rob_thebassman, Feb 9, 2014.

1. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    Right, yesterday I took my amp to my band practice, it's a Bugera BVP 5500 head and a genz benz focus lt cab. The first hour was going great, then I heard I crackling noise from my amp, then noticed the signal had drop. One of the speakers had blown :| does anybody with this Cab know how to get inside it? And any idea where I could get a replacement clone if its not a case of knackered wiring? cheers
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Sorry to hear about your situation. You get into virtually all modern speakers in the same way: Find out how the grill is attached (typically screws or heavy duty velcro) and ease it off. Each driver is screwed in from the front. Be extremely careful not to let the screwdriver slip and go through the cone. When the screws are out, the driver may be stuck due to the sticky-ness of the gasket. Pry it free, gently enough as to avoid damaging the gasket, which will be critical to avoiding air leaks when you replace the drivers. Also it goes without saying to be careful not to strip the screw holes when re-installing.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Before getting too deep into this, let's be sure that it's not the amp or an intermittent connection in the speaker cable.

Also, if your speaker is still within the warranty period, it will be in your best interests to follow the warranty procedure for your country to be sure you don't unintentionally void your warranty. Generally, this means not taking the cabinet apart yourself.

I will help you get in touch with the appropriate folks (I assume you are located in the UK?) once we are sure it's a problem with the cabinet.
  4. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    The amps works just fine, and the cable looked like it was in properly, there was hardly any vibration coming from the cone at all. My stepdad says he's going to have a look at it :)
  5. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    and yes, I'm in the UK
  6. agedhorse

Which Focus model?

Fender Europe would be the folks to handle your repair locally.
  7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
  8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Absolutely! Good man.
  9. agedhorse

Unlikely that only one driver would have failed on that cabinet from any kind of abuse. Certainly go through the proper warranty channels so that you are properly taken care of.

If you need additional contact info., PM me and I will get it for you.
  10. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    cheers mate :) much appreciated!