1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Genz Benz Streamliner 600 and Aguilar Tone Hammer 500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by vpermana, Jun 7, 2011.

1. vpermana

vpermana Supporting Member

Hi All,
    Both GB STreamliner 600 and Aguilar TH500 are in the same exact price range.
    But no store in town carry these.
    Need help to appreciate the two before placing an order.

The goal of the tone is, Paul Turner, Andrew Levy, Stefan Lessard, Lee Sklar, Flea, Pino Palladino and James Jamerson kind of vintage tone.
    Currently play Alleva Coppolo LG4 and would like to retain its organic vintage classic jazz tone. And don't like to deal with a lot of knobs. Just plug and play :)

Any help is appreciated.
    Btw, suggestion on the small cab for these two amps is also appreciated.
    Thanks

V

2. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

3. ursus

ursus Supporting Member

I play with a Streamliner 600 and a Tonehammer 500 with two SL112´s or a Berg AE 410. Right now I use the Tonehammer and SL cabs. Big difference in sound but equally good. Can´t go wrong with either of them. Depends of what sound you are looking for. The Streamliner is smoother and wider, Tonehammer 500 somewhat more direct and "punchy". Both are great value for the money spent.

4. kai_ski

kai_ski

Bumping this thread to try and get some more input on this comparison.

I just picked up a pair of Aguilar DB112's so I would like to keep things all Aggie, but I have had a STL 600 in the past and it's one that I regret selling.

Currently I use a Shuttlemax 12.0, which I'm sure I can get to sound fine with the db112's but I do miss the complexity of the tube pre in the streamliner. It would be great to downsize to the TH series as well.

These are both in the same power-output range, so I'm mostly looking for "vintage" tones with mid-foward db112 cabinets.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

I gigged a Streamliner900 for a couple years, and now have a TH500. VERY different sounding amps as posted above. Both wonderful.

I will say that neither of these amps are as 'plug and play' as many others. The Streamliner especially has that old Fender style sort of tone stack, and it is really interactive with gain settings, etc. Some wonderful tones in there, but I had to work it a while. The TH500 is a bit more straightforward, but there are LOTS of sounds that vary greatly given the ratio of drive/gain/mids.

For pure simplicity though (no tubes, very light, small, rugged), I do love the Aguilar. The Aguilar, given its super powerful midrange capability, seems a bit more forgiving of cab pairings. With the Streamliner, if you have a cab that is deep and polite in the mids, unless you dig that tone, you might be frustrated.

Paul Turner...... TH500 all the way.. mid punchy, grindy, aggressive. Of course, a Streamliner900 with a fridge type cab... that would work nicely also.

7. willsellout

willsellout

I wouldn't recommend the Streamliner.

8. kai_ski

kai_ski

care to elaborate?

9. willsellout

willsellout

It doesn't really fit what he's looking to do, IMO. It's not really as plug and play as it looks, and it was generally a bit too fluffy for me. It's also cab dependent. Before I bought my SL900 I had a chance to try it out with a few different cabinets and it was definitely better with some cabs than others. I just didn't care for it.

10. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I just had both of these amps. I also had a STM900 with a berg ae210 that produced a very pleasurable experience.

I used the TH with a thunderchild 15 and two svt210av's. The interesting thing to me was how similar it sounded through these completely different cabs. My conclusion was the gain and drive tightened up the tonehammer so that it sounded like it was coming from a sealed cab. But it was capable of more low end through the TC if you wanted it.

I did not have the streamliner when I had the thunderchild but through the SVT's the sounded similar but the streamliner had an intangible to the response that I preferred but can't describe. It also had more high end which I wasn't expecting to hear from those cabs.

Either amp, IMO, is a spectacular piece of engineering. Something special about the genz to me but I'd be happy with either.

11. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

You included Jamerson in the list. I don't know about the GB. The TH 500 should be able to do those tones very well. I use one and really like it. You can dial in a tone on the TH 500 very quickly and that comes in handy.

12. Jim C

Jim C

Never owned a STM but can vouch for the TH 500 as able to go very vintage.

13. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination Supporting Member

Both are great. I have wonderful success with the streamliner, so much so I am afraid to change. I have learned it so well (bought in first wave of availability) that I can make a change on the fly for room or song style in seconds. Maybe a mid tweak or a gain tweak - each are very powerful. Good kit either one though.