genz benz streamliner 900 for sludge/doom?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

looking to upgrade from my gk mb 210 to a genz benz streamliner 900. Im playing in a sludge band and wondering if people think this amp could pull it off?

Right now for a cab i have a gk mbe 410 and would be getting another one to get the most out of the amp.

I have a couple pedals that would handle the heavy fuzz/od tones so im hoping to just get some hair from the genz benz

So while im researching i figured id see what people thought.
  2. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    I sure don't see why not :)
  3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The Streamliner wont give you more than a hair of OD and when it does it's very smooth like a microfiber underwear.

I'd get a more aggressive amp for doom/sludge. I think the STL can produce some great beautiful tones but it's not really a snarling bitey kind of guy. For around the same price I'd get a used Mesa Bass 400+.
  4. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

yea thats what i was hoping to get opinions on, and definitetly going used.

i definitetly need a loud amp, as most places well play wont have pa's. I was also thinking about a gk mb800 as i already like the gk tone and so far it works well for the genre.
  5. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    The 400+ is amazing...the Streamliner with a dirt box of some sort would be a nice, light, dependable amp though
  6. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

as of right now i have a pickle pie b and a rat tail so im pretty set for dirt.

I guess really if anyone has first hand experience with a streamliner 900, and has tried to get aggressive, heavy tones out of it, let me know how it went!!

The mesa looks nice buuut its only 500 watts afaik it wont be loud enough but i havent researched it enough. And for a while ill only have one 4x10 as far as speaker surface area goes.
  7. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The 400+ is loud enough for anything and it can handle a 2-ohm load (4 8-ohm cabs if you wanted). The downsides of it are- still somewhat expensive used and has such a massive tube power section that replacing it is pricey too. It's a king among amps though.

If you like GK, I'd just get a bigger GK head. They can be found fairly cheap and are super reliable. Other related alternatives with tone/voicing similar to GK- Genz Benz GBE line, Mesa Carbine line.

The STL just isnt aggressive enough for me. It's core tone is basically oriented around the bass frequencies... great for some styles but also just where you'd get lost in a heavy rock/metal mix.

This is the kind of tone I like to use for metal as a point of reference-
  8. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Your band sounds awesome! Great bass tone!
  9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The all tube Mesa's come in closer to 300 watts.
  10. MAMMOTHvolume

MAMMOTHvolume

dixie in weedeater uses a 400+ and i wouldn't accuse them of being quiet! that being said i didn't really like the 400+ for dvvm.

You have to remember watts don't = volume and the difference between 300 and 1000 isn't huge.
  11. jclotbass

jclotbass

Purchased this a few months ago. Very versatile...very loud. And yes you can overdrive for some really cool funk. It will get into mild distortion gain if you fully push it. Each cabinet is 8 ohm so perfect with the 210 for small venue or both cabs if you need to push past everyone else. I bought the setup for small, light and high power. However I would like to trade for a Thunderfunk 750 and a Berg 410. A little bigger and heavier but the best sound to my ears I've ever heard.
  12. willsellout

willsellout

I was quoted by a Mesa representative closer to 250-275. I would also put the mesa more in the "clean" tube amp category. I don't remember ever being able to push it to overdrive without it getting insanely loud and it didn't particularly sound natural doing it. If I were looking at a tube amp that could get dirty, i'd be looking at an SVT.

I don't see why the GB couldn't do what you are looking for. It's gets quite a bit more than a "hair" as far as OD is concerned when I play it, and I can push it quite a bit further if I wanted to. But really, I didn't buy the amp for the OD tones, I bought a separate OD pedal for that.