Genz-Benz Streamliner Settings Thread

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mooch, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mooch

Mooch

Someone suggested this inside the main Streamliner thread. I thought it was a great idea, as it seems all anyone talks about is cabs anymore anyway.

So if you please just settings on the amp conversation. Totally cool to give stack info and bass info, but if you want to know what cab is best for whatever, head to the main streamliner thread. That's all anyone talks about.

I'll start with my settings. Its a downtuned modern metal tone.

Tube gain and volume at 11
    Bass at 2:30
    Mid at 1
    Mid freq at 2.5k
    Treble at 2
    Master volume 11ish

Running an active Traben 4 string tuned down to B-Flat with ernie ball strings(crap strings, worst I have ever used) and a 4x10 cab with eminence hartke replacement's called (something)lytes.
    And a hartke 1X15.

Let the settings begin. I would love to try different stuff!

2. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

I play a passive 4 string Pat Wilkins Custom P bass with Sadowsky flats through either a GB Neox212T cab or a PJB 8B cab. The following SL600 settings seems to sound the best to my ear giving me a sweet thick and syrupy sound. I prefer the sound coming out of the PJB 8B as it seems to produce a fuller sound to me.

Gain button - out
    Gain - 3:00
    Volume - 9:00
    Bass - 1:00
    Mid - 10:00
    Mid Freq - 600
    Treble 3:00
    Volume to taste

3. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

YES! Sub'd
    For practice through my headphones (I'm looking for hi-fi cut to learn songs) with my Sterling H
    Bass 8 !!!!
    Mid 3 (But moves all the time, 9 if I want meat to my mids, 3 if I want hi-fi mids)
    Mid Freq 2.5K
    Treble 12

For those that want Hi-fi... just look at how much bass you have to cut! It CAN sound like a SS if need be.

My bass EQ has a mid boost, bass cut, treble neutral

4. Scott McArron

Scott McArron

This has been working really well for me with my ash/maple Lakland 55-02 through a Berg HS210:

Gain - noon
    Volume - 2:00
    Bass - 11:00
    Mid - 2:00
    Freq - 600 or 2.5k
    Treble - noon
    Volume to taste

I drop the bass slightly to reduce a little of the lowest low frequencies which adds some tightness and clarity down low for me. I'm varying the mids between the 600k and 2.5k for different tunes. The 600k retains more bottom end support with low end punch while still sounding pretty even, but when I want that maple fretboard jazz sound with grit and an overall brighter tone I click it over to the 2.5k.

This has been working really well for me at rehearsal. We'll see where I end up on the gig. I'm also looking forward to the sound with my new Ben Lindsey alder/rw jazzer that shouldn't be more than a few days out now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mooch

Mooch

First off thanks for the replies. I was half expecting some flaming but awesome. Keep em coming. I should have mentioned my settings are currently in a live practice setting. I will be gigging the head for the first time this April so I'm sure it will change then.

I did notice when I recorded last night I didn't change much setting wise which I thought was great!

This amp kills and I am gonna take a night and just try peoples tones, I hope others do as well.

On to the clocks!

7. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Thanks, Mooch.

I was just practicing with my Streamliner 900, Bergantino HT112ER and my Roscoe SKB 3006. Most settings were at noon, or slightly left of center. Ok sound, but I like other settings where the gain is higher and vol is higher.

Anxious to see / hear others.

Appreciate you starting this thread.....Let the games begin!
    :bassist:

8. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination Supporting Member

I have run two different settings with two different basses.
    Warmoth Frankenjazz with passive Villex pickups
    gain switch out
    gain 12
    volume around 3
    bass 11
    mids 2:30 switch between all three mid setting per song needs
    treble 12

Lakland 44-60 rw passive
    gain switch out
    gain 10:30 -11
    volume 2:30
    bass 3
    mids 3 mostly at the 220

This has all been moderately loud rehearsal with no gigs on it yet. Settings may change per room I am sure. I like a thick articulate sound that wraps the band. I was extremely skeptical of setting the bass and mids so high together, but with the Lakland it does fine for my needs.

9. P. Bass

P. Bass

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Have not cranked amp on a gig you. (Thursday night)
    But for practice.

Gain out- 2:00
    Volume-9:00
    Bass-1:00
    Med.- 11:00
    Treble-Noon.

11. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

12. Norre

Norre

I haven't played it with the band yet, but for now I like it this way:
    - gain button: out
    - gain: 2:00
    - volume: noon
    - bass: 11:00
    - mid: 1:00
    - mid freq: 220 Hz
    - treble: noon

... actually, every setting is good. I can't imagine a bad sounding streamliner :bassist:

Cabs: Berg HT/EX112ER stack
    Basses: Passive Fender J and P, both with flats
    Music Style: Blues ... sometimes traditional, sometimes with balls (SRV, etc, ..), sometimes with a sniff of jazz

13. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

I don't understand why people like the gain button out. What are you hearing that makes you prefer this?

14. P. Bass

P. Bass

You know what might be cool is if everyone would use the"Title" bar to qualify their settings by stating Bass/String/Cab used. This would simplify a search of the thread. You could edit prev. post as well. Jus' sayin'.
    B.
    Edit: "Title" can be edited by going to "Go Advanced".

15. Scott McArron

Scott McArron

Clarity, for one. It might make a difference that I'm using a high output Lakland 55-02. What do you like about the gain button in? I haven't experimented much with it except for some mild overdrive settings that I'd rarely ever use.

16. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

For lack of a better word, more presence. The mids seem to be a bit more present. I don't have to turn the gain volume up as much either. It doesn't get dirty IMO until the gain gets past noon.

17. Scott McArron

Scott McArron

I'll experiment more this afternoon with it. More present mids sounds like a good tonal direction.

18. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I never have the gain in but then again I haven't felt like I needed to experiment more, I get just want I want now

My settings really don't move much the more I play this amp
    My bass is consistently 9, treble near 12 & mids 2.5k. Gain OUT.
    These settings worked for my GK NEO 115 as well the other day using my EBMM Sterling with flat EQ.
    What an amp, what a difference in my EQ settings vs a SS.

CUTTING bass vs ADDING bass leads to more natural lows?? This may be what makes the tone for me. This is the 1st amp I've ever had to cut lows on with my Sterling

19. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination Supporting Member

I just keep on tweaking on this amp, not because things sound bad, it is just fund to tweak to different areas of "gosh that sounds good". in the past I used to tweak because I was trying to get something to sound right. This is much more fun, and surprisingly broad in the sound capabilities with so few knobs.

20. dubstylee

dubstylee

I just picked up a Streamliner 600 yesterday. My Gosh, this thing sounds AMAZING!! I'm seriously floored by this amp. The 600 has plenty of headroom as well, it's pretty loud.... does anyone have any issues with the headroom of the 600?

Right now, I'm running the amp like so:

Gain: 12 o'clock
    Pre-amp Volume: 2 o'clock
    Bass: Flat
    Mid: 1 o'clock
    Treble: Flat
    Mid: 220

Master to taste

Running it through an Ampeg 210AV right at the moment, sound fantastic with the sealed cab - truly old school.

21. Mooch

Mooch

I turned my bass knob down from 2:30 last night to 11 and man! A lot more cut through for one and I can get a lot more volume out of the head(which is to be expected) but that bass at 11 makes it sound "mean" for metal!