Genz Benz Streamliners for sale: question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by redwood, Nov 30, 2012.

1. redwood

redwood Supporting Member

I see all kinds of GB Streamliners for sale all of a sudden.
    Any idea why? Just not the sound people are expecting?
    I just lost all of my equipment in a fire (except my Bongo thank God!). And my Schroeder 1210 was out in the garage. So I was looking for something new to try.
    I was playing through a V Bass Pro/Crown power amp setup, and that was ok, but not exactly the sound I was looking for.
    Normally I like a little bit of grit and grind to my sound. But with the ability to clean it up for certain songs. And my thought was that the Streamliner paired with the Schroeder would be a nice combination.
    Any idea why all of a sudden all the Streamliner owners would be ditching them? And does anyone here have personal experience with the GB and Schroeder cabs?

Thanks fellow G.O.T.s (Gods of Thunder!)
  2. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump Supporting Member

Seems to be a normal thing around here. New gear comes out, tons of people buy it, some like it and some don't. Tose who don't sell it. I'm tempted by this amp too, you're not alone!
  3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just means that a LOT of people bought them. Bigger selling pieces of gear new means bigger percentage of sales in the classifieds. That is why you always see a lot of Markbass LMII's, GK heads, Ampegs, etc.

That being said, the Streamliners do have a strong voice and are quite different from any other hybrid I've played (very tubey in both feel and tone). I can see where that 'concept' would be very interesting to a lot of players, but the reality might be a bit too much for some.

Also, the tone stack is a bit more complicated than most realize, and if you are a 'plug and play out of the box player', this head can easily frustrate.

The transferable warranty and great customer service of Genz makes buying used Genz gear very appealing to many.
  4. redwood

Well, seeing as how I was using the V bass, I'm pretty comfortable "tweaking". LOL
    That's why I lost the unit. I had it in my den doing some tweaking with it hooked up to my pc. So much for the time I spent doing it.....
    I'll have to find one locally to try out. I suppose that's the only way I'll know for sure.
    So long as it's not a quality issue as to all of the units for sale. Not that I expected it was with GB's quality and customer service reputation.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

There's definitely no quality issue - IMO, the Streamliners are the most ruggedly built micros on the market... I think Ken nailed it - alot of them were bought, and they're probably not perfect for everyone... Also, IMO - they cop the tube sound and feel extremely well, in a powerful, compact, light-weight, well-built package - with one of the best sounding DIs out there...

I would recommend buying the 900 over the 600, if you play in fairly loud bands - I replaced my 600 with a 900, and that's a way better fit for me...

Lastly - I'm in Syracuse - if you're out this way, or want to take a drive - you can try mine out... Just shoot me a PM, and we'll set it up...

- georgestrings
  7. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

I was thinking of going back to the streamliner and watched the classifieds for a month or so with no luck before I broke down and bought a walkabout last week. Now there are 4 or 5. You can blame me.

If I don't like the WA and decide to go with the genz they will all be gone, so you may want to strike while the iron's hot.:)
  8. jlepre

jlepre

Dude,
    If you want one, buy it used. If you don't LIKE it, you can flip it without losing anything. I LOVE MY STM-900 BTW.
  9. chuck3

chuck3

gigging with mine tonight. definitely a little different, even from other Genz Benzes, but it delivers.

[​IMG]
  10. redwood

Bass. Check. Amp. Check. Headphones. Check.
    Bourbon.:hyper:
  11. redwood

As always. TB'ers never fail to amaze. Georgestrings, your gracious offer is appreciated. Probably won't make the drive in the near future. But I'll keep you posted. :D
  12. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

Im saving up for one, I'm sure that by the time I have the funds together, they wont be in the classifieds anymore.
  13. willsellout

willsellout

This is what surprised me. This head is not plug and play, it's rather complex; moreso than I thought. I treated it like a normal amp the first time out and almost put it up for sale that night. I made sure to read the manual and it didn't help either, so I came here and luckily Mr. Jung and a few other folks were here to help.

It's an amazing head with a ton of features. I'm still on the fence with it. It is not what I thought it was.

The other thing is that it's fairly inexpensive, so lots of people buy them to try them, decide they don't like it, and flip it for the same amount they paid. Very little risk.
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 The reason I finally moved on from mine after 2 very pleasant years of gigging it had to do with another issue. Just like a true 'all tube amp', these heads IMO and IME 'prefer' a cab that is either sealed or vibes the tight low end and present mids of a sealed multi 10 box. I think Jeff Genzler talks about the primary cab they had in mind for this head was a sealed 810. So, I found this head to sound wonderful in that context, and not so much with other, more modern cabs (for MY tone goals anyway of a kind of articulate, clean, punchy Bob Glaub sort of P tone).

So, when I finally tired of schlepping the AE410 (which sounded massively good with the Streamliner), the Streamliner went also.
  15. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

No prob, bud - other TBers have made similar offers to me... If you change your mind, just give me a heads up - my band room is only 5 minutes from my house...

- georgestrings
  16. chetmz

chetmz

Having followed the advice of Kjung and others about the Streamliner being a good match for my Bag End 15 +12 I am quite happy with my new purchase. I was concerned about the big, bass end on the amp that so many have commented is difficult to tame. However, as you know, the BE cabs would never be accused of being real deep and I find I can run the Streamliner with the bass control at noon and it is not overpowering. From all the posts I've read, this would just not work with a lot of the great full range cabs out there.
  17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Those little Bag Ends are very 'sealed 10' sounding to me. Very attenuated deep bass, and super present in the mid mids. Beautiful with the Streamliner. My buddy Mikebass gigged that combo for quite a while and I heard it live... NICE!

Sounds DARN good with the Baer ML112 also.... the Baer has a nice low end extension, but is quite punchy in the midrange, and 'bright but not steril' in the upper midrange. PERFECT for the Streamliner IMO and IME.
  18. redwood

I've found my Schroeder 1012 to be quite "mid-present". That's why I was thinking the Streamliner and the Schroeder would be a good pairing.
    Yes? Thoughts?
  19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Should sound nice and punchy. One of the things I found back in the day when I was gigging a 1212L (the slanted baffle neo 212) is that the low end was round and punchy and loud and tight, but there was a BIG dip in the upper midrange with that cab. I believe that is the impact of two drivers in a small box with the slanted baffle... a big bump in the lower midrange and a big drop in the upper midrange..... and that is what I heard.

The reason I bring that up is that the Streamliner is also relaxed in the upper midrange area. The good news is, you won't need to use the semi-parametric EQ to bump up the low mids or mids with that cab, and it should be free to crank a bit more 'articulation' up top with that cab on the 'upper mid setting'. Should sound round and warm and fat, if a bit 'polite' in the upper midrange grind area.

Edit: NOTE: These comments I'm making are based on my tone goals. There are many guys gigging a Streamliner with, for example, a fEARful 15/6 and loving it.... HUGE low end. Nothing wrong with that at all, just not my thing. I was attempting to vibe an all tube amp running very clean, with a bit of midrange 'complexity' primarily coming from my cab (like the old SVT/Fridge thing run at low enough volumes so that the SVT stayed reasonably clean). With a tight cab, and some EQ work, you can get pretty darn close IMO and IME and lose about 200 pounds of weight! If you are looking for a big, wide open, deep low end and little midrange distortion or 'massive punch the Streamliner will sound pretty good with anything!
  20. redwood

Sounds delicious :cool:
  21. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I used to have a 1212L and I played a 6.0, a 9.0 and the 900 through it before I sold it. It is a good fit .. punchy but not boomy.. The 900 still surprises me and between that and the pre in my bass I can get a lot of variation in the tone. I like the 900 better than the 9.0 or the 6.0.