Genz Benz Uber 212

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by walknbluez, Jan 16, 2013.

1. walknbluez

walknbluez

I've been patiently waiting for the right cab to come along to replace my Avatar 212. It's a great cab but I want to step it up. I play a Fender P through a Peavey VB-2 tube amp, sometimes with a pick, sometimes fingerstyle, depending on the music. Missed a Berg NV610 here locally by "that much" and it got away. Anyway, just wondering if anyone can describe the sound profile of the Genz Benz Uber 212 because I see one for sale locally. I've done lots of searches on tb and on google, but not much info was to be had except for one thread that described it was a more "pillowy" tone. Looking to see what some GB Uber 212 owners or prior owners have to say.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It's my all-time favorite mid sized bass cab. It's a loud cab, and tonally, it sits between old school fat and round, but with modern punch and clarity. Awesome cab, and would pair well with your Peavey amp, imo.

3. walknbluez

walknbluez

That could fit the bill! It is the modern punch and clarity that I'm looking to step up but I'm afraid of going too far with another cab that it just that only.

4. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Some demo narrative

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walknbluez

walknbluez

Ricken, have you ever had the chance to compare it to a 410? From what I've read 410's move more air and are more articulate. Is there a reason you would choose this over a 410?

7. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I had this speaker and also the Peavey head.

First of all, know that it's very big for a 2x12. It comes with a handle and tilt back wheels which makes transportation easier.

I did not like the sound of this cab. It had plenty of volume but the tone was not for me. It sounded different than any other cab I had heard. I'm not really sure how to describe it. I suggest you hear one first.

I've had an Eden 2x10 and a Bergantino 3x10 and preferred the tone of both of these much more than the GB Uber 212. I don't know if all 2x12s sound like this since it's the only 212 I've ever heard.

8. blmeier7

blmeier7

I've owned both the Uber 212 and the Avatar 212, and was able to AB them. The Uber is much more articulate and refined sounding. The Uber is also noticeably louder than the Avatar. The Uber would be a nice step up IMO.

9. walknbluez

walknbluez

Art, was it lack of articulation that you noticed most?

10. walknbluez

walknbluez

Thanks, articulation is just what I'm looking for. How would you compare the low end and the upper highs?

11. tbone0813

tbone0813 Supporting Member

FYI there is one for sell in the classifieds for $575 shipped. It wont last long at that price.

12. walknbluez

walknbluez

Just checked that out. Looks like $75 of that is for shipping according to the ad. I'm in the same city as he is so I could actually check it out and see how it sounds. Although you never really know how it will sound until it is sitting in the mix.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I tried both the 410 and the 212 before buying the 212. They're about the same size, but I just liked the sound of the 212 much more. It's big and fat, and articulate at the same time. Lots of lows, beefy mids, and adjustable tweeter for the top. Like I said, my all time fav mid sized cab. In a way, it reminds me a little of a Mesa Deisel 215, but with a bit more "snap".

14. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Great! Go listen to it. Bring your own head and bass.

15. walknbluez

walknbluez

Ricken, I'm looking for a cab that won't color my tone too much. I'm trying to get the same tone that I get when I go direct into the board, post EQ. The description of "beefy mids" concerns me a little because as it is right now, I have to turn the mids on the EQ on my amp down all the way to compensate for the mids that the P-bass produces. Are the mids beefy when your amp is EQ'd that way or would you say that they are beefy even with the amp EQ is flat?

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

A "colorless cab" is not any off the shelf bass cab I know of. The Uber imparts a vintage fatness, and most ALL bass cabs will give color of one sort or another. Sounds like you're looking for a fEARful or similar, maybe a PA cab.

17. walknbluez

walknbluez

Well, I don't know if I'd want to go to that extent. Maybe I'm thinking of it the wrong way, but I was thinking that with a fairly transparent cab, I could then add color when needed rather than fighting it and trying to EQ things out. But I also want versatility so that I can also do the vintage thing. Basically I want the ability to retain a "woody" tone when I EQ some of the low end out.

Here's a good example of the tone I'm looking for:

18. walknbluez

walknbluez

Anybody here owned both this cab and an Eden D410XLT? Wondering what the comparisons would be.

19. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    I have owned an Eden XLT 410, an Uber 410 and an Uber212. I think the Uber 410 wins for clarity and weighs a heck of a lot less than the Eden.

I loved the Uber 212 out of the box, but never really could make it work at the gig...more low mids than lows...it was probably just me, but I much preferred the Uber 410 overall.

20. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    +1, which is what led me away from 410s in general, though the Uber 410 is the best one I've ever owned...Have you considered a 215 or two 115's? Other than that, to get a less colored tone you gotta head toward the boutique stuff.

After way too many years of pulling my hair out, I came to believe that my basses and amps were where I wanted 'color.' With cabs, I just want them to reproduce what I put into them :)

21. walknbluez

walknbluez

When you say "it was probably just me" what do you mean? The way you had settings on your amp? The way you were hearing it? I'm just curious what was it about it that didn't work at the gig? I think the Eden XLT 410 is also voiced a low mid heavy isn't it?

I'm looking at a used Uber 212 and so I don't really have a used Uber 410 option, so I'm looking at just comparing the Uber 212 to the Eden 410XLT.