1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Benz: Uber Quad - Uber 115 Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Joeykun, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GENZ BENZ / SADOWSKY
    Since the NEW Genz Benz Uber cabs are shipping we might as well start the Official Uber Quad / 115 Mega Thread. Post your Quads and 115s and share your reviews, sound clips and gig photos using the new cabs!!

Today I received the Uber Quad (GB 1288T-UQ)!! :hyper: As you can see it fits right in with the rest of the Uber line of enclosures.

[​IMG]

Here it is with the grill off showing the beautiful speakers. One 12" along with two 8" and a tweeter. (1288T)

[​IMG]

Here is the rear of the cab along with the control plate that has Speakon® and 1/4" inputs. Plus, the 100 Watt Tweeter Level control.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cab is 23" x 24 1/2" x 18 1/4" and weighs 58lbs. To give you an idea of size...Here it is next to the Uber 410 (GB 410T-UB)

[​IMG]

The cab is the same width and depth of the Uber 410/212. Here is a side view and stacked on top of the Uber 410.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is a 8 ohms, 600 watt cab. The crossover points are Lows: 45-500Hz, Mids:150-5KHz, Highs:4K-18KHz.
    I will get to power this cab up tonight with the Genz Benz Shuttle MAX 12.0 which will put 375 watts into 8 ohms.

[​IMG]

Overall, this is a well constructed, compact cab with the Uber "nubby" vinyl coating, the classic grille and silver piping,
    Edge-Lift handles and rubber feet in each corner.

I will post up some reviews tomorrow on its sound with this setup above!! :bassist:
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nice! A bit bigger than I had originally thought, but very nicely executed by the looks of it. Nice photo's too.

Subscribed!
  3. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Looks great !!! Mine are going to be here today... Looks like you won with the speedy photo posting.:)
  4. Musicman20

Musicman20

That looks extremely well made, and clean under the grille.

Im very interested to hear one of these.
  5. babebambi

babebambi

so there is a Hi-Pass at 45Hz ?
  6. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

OK. Got my attention! Can't wait to hear about them.:bassist:
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That just means the cab is tuned to 45hz. With this type of driver, that's a very nice, full, deep low end to my ear.
  8. rpsands

rpsands

Hey Genz guys, send one of these over to my place and I'll review it against a fEarful and post a write up for you. AHEM.
  9. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    OUT FOR DELIVERY !!
  10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Nice. loves me some Uber cabs.
  11. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    I have only had a little time to mess with them. But they Growl! smooth bottom and the mids are so sweet sounding... I dialed back the tweeter from the 1/2 way point that they came set at. More to come.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I want to hear these sooo badly. I love my 610XB2 for it's clarity and depth but I want something that'll fit into my Accord. These might be the ticket!
  13. f.clef

f.clef Supporting Member

A review, please, referencing preferences re: technique, genre/performance contexts, experience with other designs and implementations.

This looks nice... but I need some justification!
  14. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    I only have a recording thing tonight and tomorrow.. live gig on Saturday which these are going to... more soon..
    They do growl though.. and i like that. bottom is smooth but very defined mids to my ear.. Not boomy at all...
    The tweeter was set at 50% when i opens the box I backed it to about 8 oclock which suits my taste more...

To me they sound like Articulation with Girth..
  15. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Nice, guys! Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts. Since you asked for photos, here's my live rig with my new UBER cab setup!

[​IMG]

I went with the UBER 115 underneath, mainly because I was curious to hear what that cab sounds like, as well. I've yet to listen to the two cabs by themselves, but I can say that they sound fabulous in combination.

I'm running a Crest CA4 in 4-ohm bridged mono mode, and that delivers something like 1100 Watts (500-600 to each cab). The clean headroom is very impressive. Even with the CA4 wide open, the cabs take everything I give it.

I posted a sound clip over in my forum, but here's a repeat of the details. The clip was done before I put the CA4 into bridged mono mode, so this was only about 250W driving each cab.

I did a quick sound clip with my live rig. One note - I was playing in the same room with the cabs and the mic, so there's some extra "clackiness" because the mic was picking up my string noise, too. That said... hubba hubba! VERY clean tone... maybe even UBER clean! This rig was slamming in my chest, and I just love that.

"UBER Demo"

Here's the signal chain:
    Roscoe Century Signature V "King Koa" ->
    Alembic F1X preamp / Alembic SF-2 Super Filter ->
    Crest CA4 Power Amp ->
    Genz-Benz UBER Quad / Genz-Benz UBER 115 ->
    Peluso CEMC6 Mic ->
    M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R USB Interface ->
    PC / Sonar Producer 8.5

Both pickups were wide open, my Audere onboard EQ was flat, the F1X was set 4-10-3 (slight bass boost, slight treble boost), the SF2 was doing nothing, I fed the full range signal into both channels A & B on the CA4, both channels were wide open, and the mic was placed 8-10 ft away. Channel A fed the UBER Quad, Channel B fed the UBER 115.
  16. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Not 100% sure, but I think it actually is in reference to the woofer's spec (like -6db point), not necessarily where the cab is tuned. :p Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  17. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

You guys are killin' me! I love my Uber 410, but I want to try these new ones so bad!

Growl you say, eh Kirk? Me likey growl!;)
  18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Typically, I represents (I think) the -3db point of a cabinet, but who knows!
  19. bugbass

bugbass

Looks great. subscribed!
  20. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Wow.Lookin' good.