1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Contour and mesa ext cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fletz, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Thinking about getting a Genz contour combo amp. I have a mesa 112 powerhouse cab that is pair with it occasionally. Would you recommend a 210 or 115 contour?
  2. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

No comments?
  3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

They're both good!
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Either one would be just fine. Be sure you have the standard Powerhouse (8 ohm) and notthe optional 4 ohm though.
  5. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Thanks. I do have the 4ohm.
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Then you will be taking the Contour below it's 4 ohm minimum - not good.
  7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Hmmmm. Darn. I better check which one I have. If I am occasionally chaining my 212 and 112, I guess I have the 8 ohm ones. I'll confirm.
  8. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Best to confirm exactly what you have.
  9. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

10. Joedog

Joedog

As to which combo, I'd ask are you looking for warm, round, mellower tone, or a somewhat more aggressive, modern tone? I have the 15, and it is quite articulate, but not overly warm. The 210 supposedly is the slightly more aggressive and "in your face" voiced of the 2, but I have not personally heard one. I can make the 15 sound more than aggressive enough for my taste. I am very glad I chose the 15. YMMV. How either would sound with an (8 ohm) extension other than a Contour cab is a crap shoot (maybe great, maybe not so great). Only one way to find out! Heck this thing is darn loud by itself; you may find you don't need an extension as often as you think! They are GREAT value for the $$. Good luck! Let us know which one you get!
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

If I remember correctly and I rarely do, that Mesa 112 is a pretty good size box for a 112 and the Contour might fit on it nicely.
    If it does, I would try that before making a purchase. If not, get the Contour 115 or Genz Benz Focus 115, which I've seen going for 275.00 brand new.
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I have confirmed the Contour 115 fits atop the Mesa.

GBContour - 18.25W by 16.25D
    Mesa 112 - 19.4W by 18.4D

The Mesa is a great cab and should work very well as an extension.