Genz Focus Series - any guts?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bob C, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Bob C

Bob C

There were a few threads on these cabs when they first came out. I'm looking for some follow-ups, now that the honeymoon is over.

They are compact, lightweight and affordable. I know they're budget priced, "entry level" cabs. But that said, who out there owns and likes them? Or doesn't?

I'm on a mission to put together a versatile micro rig that can put out some volume and beef. I'm leaning toward a Genz Shuttle 6.0 or a GK MB 500 head.

I'm not really wild about the GK MBE cabs, in looks or design - mainly because of the tweeter on/off only feature. I like the GK Neo series, but sure wish they offered a 2X10.

Back to the Focus: I'm disappointed that the 2X10 is not designed to ideally permit vertical stacking (feet and handles in the wrong place). Would two of the 1X15 cabs give me the same volume as two of the 2X10's? It would be less cone area.

I know there are lots of variables and it's subjective, but would love to hear others' experiences.

2. johnpbass

johnpbass

I have 2 Focus 15s and I really like them. IMO, they have a very nice tone across the board - nice lows, not overpowering but you know they're there, warm present mids, nice smooth top end even with the tweeter on. Great price point, and solid build quality. I'm surprised there was not more buzz about them. Moot point now though!

3. rsint

rsint

Yep, scooped up a couple a 12's while the gettin' was good.
    Enjoying the sound a lot, and these little en very light speakers pack quite a punch.

4. Bob C

Bob C

There are still dealers selling them on eBay. Actual music stores too! What head are you guys using, and how loud do you play? Meaning I guess, are you pushing these cabs to their limit?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eriky4003

eriky4003

GK did have a Neo 210 but you'll need buy it used. I will advise that it's a good cabinet.
    Actually, a 1x15 is MORE cone area than 2x10 (15x15=225, 10x10=100x2=200).

7. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

I have had a Focus 410 for a while now and like it quite a bit. Sounds great but is not going to be real loud. For situations where I need more volume a Berg NV610T is usually plenty.
    Definitely not disparaging the Focus in any way...it's one great sounding cab and can handle many situations by itself. It also pairs nicely with a variety of amps.

8. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

I had the 410 breifly. Ok sounding but, kind of smooth for me. No growl.

9. johnpbass

johnpbass

I'm not using them at really high volumes. I'm running an Ampeg PF350 or Aguilar Tonehammer pre/DI through a Peavey IPR 1600.
    I'd say they are more of a medium duty cab. Two 15s together really punch though.

10. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Ill add to this and ask..... are they any louder/ better than a comparable avatar? They're about the same price wise.

11. bassjnky1

bassjnky1

Ive had an Avatar Neo212 and IMO the Av will be louder and take more abuse but I can't get past the tweeter. Just don't care for it. If you like the sound of the Avatar it's a value that's hard to beat. For me, I can get about any sound I want from the Focus...just not at a high volume without stressing it out.

12. Bob C

Bob C

You're right about the cone area. I've done the math before, but foolishly relied on my memory, which wasn't accurate.

Not sure you're formula or answer are right, but the part about a 15 vs two 10s is.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Since the Focus cabs can be had for a song now, a pair of 115's would kill but I would go for a little more power in the head, like the MB800 or Streamliner 900. Pretty sure I saw the Streamliner 900 going for 600 bucks new somewhere...

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

GB 6.2 head for 399.00. 600w @ 4 ohms should drive a pair of 115's real nice...

http://www.amazon.com/Genz-Benz-Shuttle-600W-Bass/dp/B0070YFFX6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_2

15. johnpbass

johnpbass

16. Wito

Wito

I've been playing a pair of Facus 4x10s for a while (or just a 4x10, depending on the gig) and I really like them so far. Nice match with my GB Shuttle 9.2. However, I never run them at high volume, so can't answer how they respond in that situation.

What I do have noticed is that the low end in these cabs is not massive. That's something I like, 'cause I usually don't bost the bass in my amp and like it sounding tight and focused. If you're looking for a boomy cab, I don't think these are for you, IMHO.

17. Bob C

Bob C

Thanks for keeping the thread alive with useful information and opinions, guys.

I'm not looking for boomy. Punch and clarity - yes.

I joined a newly forming band, which I think will be "medium volume", for the most part.

But I guess it's all about headroom for me. About the head: I have a few GK threads going. Was seriously looking at the MB800, and was kind of steered toward the MB500 as being "more than enough" to drive a pair of 2X10's.

I'm kind of starting to consider the pair of single 15's now - mated with the GK MB500? MB 800? Genz Shuttle 6.2? 9.2?

I haven't ruled out other heads, a Carvin for instance. I'd prefer the B series to the BX, but ... well, that's another thread topic.

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

If you're looking for punch and clarity, I'd venture to say you'll like them. The lows are there but not overpowering.

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The GB 6.2 is a steal at 399.00 and I found new GB Focus 115's for 285.00 each. Great rig for less than a grand. Remember, adding a second 15 not only draws an additional 225w out of the amp, but doubles the speaker output so having enough lows, volume, clarity... not a problem. I see guys doing Festivals with a lot less.

20. creis2

creis2

I recently got a Focus 410 for a seal on eBay. I've been in a long search for a 410 that compares to my sealed 810 or a berg 610, and doesn't weigh a ton. I came to the conclusion there isn't one out there at the moment I'm aware of.

While not as aggressive as my sealed 10's, it is very smooth sounding. I did some tweaking with my VT Bass with the speaker emulation to make it sound pretty good.

I don't find this to be a entry level cabinet at all. IMO the quality of the components are on par with any pro Ampeg cabinet out there. I also have pushed it pretty hard. While keep in mind, I understand speakers have limitations and I'm not one of those people who try to push 1000 watts into a 112. But with my Ashdown ABM 500, and my Streamliner, it sounds amazing.

It comes off to me, an Amateur player, as a all around cab. It does a little bit of everything pretty good. For the price, I think it definitely beats everything in the same price range. Does it beat Bergantino and other high end cabs, probably not.

21. eriky4003

eriky4003

Bob C,
    I'll second the motion that the MB500 will be enough with a medium-loud band. My band is quite loud and I've still got volume to spare on the head. Another cabinet idea is the Avatar TB153 (I might get shot here). Not optimally designed, according to fEARful aficionados, but would probably get you there with only one cabinet if the band isn't expected to be too loud.
    Good luck in your choices!