1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Shuttle 9.2 overdriven headphone out

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by flojob, Dec 26, 2013.

1. flojob

flojob

I decided to use the amp with headphones. The sound is very overdriven, and am not sure why. Even at low volume, gain, and master levels. Anybody have any suggestion of what the problem may be, or have encountered this?
    Through a cab it performs normally and I've never had an issue. The headphones are cans that, while not expensive, work fine for other applications like the vox headphone amp that plugs straight into my bass jack. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

How are you connecting the headphones??
  3. flojob

flojob

Its a 1/4 out from the amp. Using an adapter for 1/8 headphones. Think it might be that?
  4. flojob

flojob

Just to clarify, I'm connecting to the headphone out on the back of the amp.
  5. schecter5string

schecter5string

No i dont think so, i do this with no problems
  6. flojob

flojob

Maybe I'm just out of luck
  7. NWB

NWB

Hmm, the headphone out on my old GB Shuttle was amazingly good.

I'd guess it's more likely a headphone problem.
  8. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

What brand and model of headphones is it? Are they very loud even at low volumes?
  9. flojob

flojob

I'm not sure about the brand and model. Nothing expensive, but with music and practicing via headphone amp it performs normally. So has the amp though. Ill try headphones first; much more practical and cost efficient.
  10. Road Bull

Road Bull Supporting Member

Test the headphones in something else. Test the headphone input with other headphones.
  11. flojob

flojob

The headphones are ifrogz orion model. Just going to have to buy some 1/4 headphones and see if its the adapter that I'm using. I don't guess it's a big deal if it is the head.
  12. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Hope it works out.. Merry Christmas Agedhorse (and all) ! Thanks again for the shuttle 9.2, love it !
  13. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Going to The Australian Open Pimmsley? Starts January 13. I'll be watching as much as I can on TV. Wish I could be there.
  14. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Ha ha... Not this year bloke, have done in the past a couple of times and it's great fun, loved it... This year I'll be watching it on TV too ;) plus the beer is cheaper at home... Lol. Enjoy !
  15. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

They look like they should work fine, but it's possible that you just might have a bad set of phones.

As a general note, some phones have a difficult time reproducing high level low frequencies. They sound great until driven hard, then they run out of excursion. I don't know if this is the case here, how do they sound if you play an i-pod into the aux in?
  16. flojob

flojob

Hi agedhorse! Sorry for the delay, for some reason it didn't notify me that someone posted. That's a good question! I'll hook it up and see when I get off. I work nights at a hospital. Thanks for the advice from you and everyone. I'll let you know what I find.