Genz Shuttlemax 9.2 & Uber 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Wolford, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Wolford

Wolford

So am I crazy to think that this combo can keep up with a rock band? Fairly loud drummer. I don't mind if I push the master vol past 12, to 2 o'clock or so.

I know the SM9.2 has lots of fans, but I hardly see anyone loving the Uber 210. Any help or feedback is appreciated.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

IMO, you are only going to get so loud with a 210 before running out of speaker (or damaging it). Under these conditions, I would recommend a second 210 (8 ohm) cabinet or sell what you have and find a cabinet more suitable to your needs (like the Uber 410 (4 ohm) or 212 (4 ohm)

Also, let's confirm that you have an 8 ohm 210 and not a 4 ohm. If you have the 4 ohm, that's way too much power to be driven to where you see the output peak LED. Most were 8 ohm but there were a few 4 ohm.

3. Wolford

Wolford

Thank you agedhorse. Yes, it's 8 ohm.

My plan was to have a 2x10 @home, a 2x10 @practice, and just combine the 2 when i really needed power at a gig. I'm trying to go light, but if I have to bring both 2x10's everywhere it defeats the purpose. ugh.

I'll see how it goes at practice Saturday with the band...

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It's not "power" you need, it's volume, and that can only be achieved with adequate spkrs. A single 210 is not adequate for most rock bands, but 2 of them is usually enough.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

A real solid cab like the Uber 210 can get VERY loud before it distorts. Easily enough for most gigs, just be sure to back down on the bass knob as you turn up the volume. To compensate, target low mids and boost them up a bit.
    That's good bass sound anyway IMO. The electric bass is a low-mid instrument. For scooped slap, apply some compression to protect the speakers.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I always bring both of my 112's with but a keep an extra head in my trunk. I would keep your extra 210 in the trunk and figure out if you need it after sizing up the room and the PA situation. Life on the road ain't easy... :D

8. Wolford

Wolford

Thanks guys. So to update after our practice... the single 2x10 did pretty well. It didn't dominate, but I wasn't trying to obviously. My drummer said he could 'hear each note more clearly'. Maybe seemed a little lacking in the real lows. I had the master at about 12-1:00 and didn't hear any distortion in the cab.
    Regarding agedhorse's comment - "If you have the 4 ohm, that's way too much power to be driven to where you see the output peak LED." I could see the master peak LED flashing when I played, pretty often. Mine is the 8 ohm, but is it ok for that light to be flashing? The amp never even got warm, and the cab didn't seem to distort.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yes, it's ok if it just flashes, but if it stays lit, you're pushing too hard. Also, Master @ 12 to 1 is about all you'll get, so consider a 2nd 210 later on. It will give the amp AND your single 210 a bit of a break.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Yes, for an 8 ohm 210 you are ok.