1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Genz Shuttlemax 9.2 without cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Texan, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

I have a pickup gig this Saturday with a band that strictly goes direct, uses in ear monitors and does not use amps on stage. They have a incredibly nice PA, so I'm sure that the sound without my cab will be nice, but the SM9.2 through my Berg AE410 is just awesome. Does anyone have experience using the Shuttlemax 9.2 in a similar situation without a cab? How was the sound? Did you miss your cab? I like the idea of leaving my Berg 410 at home, but I have never played live using just a DI into the PA. Additionally, I know that using this head with no load will not harm it, but it still makes me paranoid.

Thanks in advance.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Not a problem at all, it was designed specifically to accomodate this application.
  3. Musicman20

Musicman20

It is a very good piece of equipment for such a situation!

Extensive EQ settings, etc. You get your 'Genz' sound in the monitors and through the PA.
  4. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    I record direct with my ShuttleMax 9.2 all the time. Awesome sounding pre :)
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The only bit that would bother me is being given communal IEM plugs. Sounds like there are no monitor cabs at all.
  6. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Yep, it sounds awesome this way. Some of the best DI tone I've EVER had. And my main DIs are Aguilar DB900, Manley Tube DI, and Radial J48. I've also owned an Avalon U5 and Groove Tubes tube DI, as well as Tech 21 Para DI and Radial JDI. And I've used many others.

The SM9.2 as DI is really sweet - especially with IEMs.
  7. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

No worries there, I have my own plugs.
  8. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    i Have used my SM9.2 as a DI only and no cab on many church gigs.. Best DI of any amp out there IMO....