Genz vs Carvin

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheAngryPocket, Jan 17, 2013.

?

What do YOU say?

1. Genz Shuttle 9.0/ Uber 810

84 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Carvin BX1500/ BRX10.4/ BRX18.1

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

Trying to decide between 2 new rigs. I like the Genz cause of it's tone, power,and simplicity of the head, but like the versatility and price of the Carvin. I'm leaning towards the Genz, but love the price tag on the Carvin.

I play a 5string active bass in a 2guitar hrd rock/metal band, and know a Carvin BX250 and single 1x15 is NOT cutting it anymore. I AM a proponent for Carvin and what they bring to the table in quality and value, but I know Genz is closer to where I wanna be in tone(i.e. old Eden)
  2. rainbownorth

rainbownorth

Go genz, you wont regret it. They make GREAT heads. I've briefly played a shuttle, and own a streamliner 900 with a 4x10 focus, and it the dogs bollocks. I can get everything I want from it tonally, it's small and light, and I honestly am 100% confident I'll probably never need to contact their customer services. Even the dude who sold it to me was stoked for me and put me off more expensive heads to a genz.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you have the money for the GB buy it if not you'll find a very good amplifier in the BX1500. You will, naturally, have to increase the number of your cabinets with either choice.
  4. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

You don't feel a Carvin 4x10 and 1x18 with 450watts each, or an 8x10 with 900watts are sufficient enough?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

You might find it helpful to get more clear in your thinking: If the Genz Benz gets credit for its power (500 watts @ 8 ohms, 900 watts @ 4 ohms), then give Carvin even more props for its power: 900 watts (bridged) @ 8 ohms, 1,500 watts (bridged) @ 4 ohms.

The BX1500 is indeed very versatile and is a great bargain. That said, you can't play a price tag...and a price tag isn't going to produce a great tone on the gig. :eyebrow:

If simplicity is a real selling point to you (it's not a requirement for me), then consider the Carvin B2000: Big power, operates @ 2 ohms (and rated at > 2,000 watts (!), available at a super price...and every bit as simple in design & operation as the Shuttle 9.0.

Any way you go, you can't really lose: they're all fine amps. But you might overlook or undervalue a great option - if you don't consider your options fairly or carefully enough... :eyebrow:

MM
  7. Mystic Michael

If you buy the Carvin rig, don't get the 1x18 cab. It has no practical value relative to the BRX 10.4. The 10.4 goes just as deep as you would ever need, undoubtedly stays tighter down low, and will match sonically with the other BRX 10.4 much better.

MM
  8. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

Very wise input. That is something to ponder. I might just be making a mtn. out of a mole hill.:bag:
  9. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

Agreed. Also due to the fact that they are all in the same cab(dimension wise). But what about the 1500's crossover? is that worth anything to that setup?
  10. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

AND!!! Looking at the website again, I could get 2 of their 4x10's AND the B2000 head for the price of the Genz! And THAT'S why I Carvin so much.
  11. Mystic Michael

To be perfectly honest, the B2000 + (2) BRX 10.4 would make a far more powerful rig than the BX1500 with two BRX cabs. Each of those cabs has an impedance of 4 ohms - but the BX1500 won't handle a 2-ohm load. That means you would have to operate in dual-channel mode, where each cab would get no more than 450 watts.

With the B2000, each of those cabs would get at least 1,000 watts (when run concurrently). Not that they'll actually take that much power, but the amount of clean headroom the B2000 provides will make them sound fantastic. :cool:

That B2000 + (2) BRX 10.4 stack has got to be one of the most impressive moderately-priced hard rock/metal big rigs ever known to man. :eek:

MM
  12. Mystic Michael

Beat me to the punch! :p

MM
  13. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

^THIS is why I love TB!!!
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Carvin is great but if you don't live close to California good luck packing everything up and shipping it out there and hoping it gets back in one piece Genz benz has service centers in every state and Canada. I looked at Carvin love their prices and products but the lack of a service center outside of California is a deal breaker for me they could have regional service centers?
  15. leokatero

leokatero

They make GREAT heads. I've briefly played a shuttle, and own a streamliner 900 with a 4x10 focus, and it the dogs bollocks.[​IMG][​IMG]
  16. MyMusic

MyMusic

Personally I would go with the best of best worlds. The BX1500 and the Uber 810. Run it bridged for the full range at 4 ohms.
  17. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i have an gbe600 and xb2 4x10 and it kills! i absolutely love it.
  18. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

I have a Carvin B2000 head and two Carvin 4x10 cabs. That covers all the ground I ever need.
  19. Jarrett

Jarrett Supporting Member

In my A/B'ing, I found the Shuttle 9.0 to have about the same output as the Carvin BX500. I would go with the Carvin rig. It's going to put out a lot more than the GB will, imo.
  20. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

I'm 90% on the Carvin(B2000, two BRX10.4)rig.
  21. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Sorry didn't look at the poll. Mixing a 4x10 with a single cone cabinet is never a good idea.