1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

genzbenzstreamliner600 & neox212 vs aguilar tonehammer500+2xSL12

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shednz, Apr 3, 2014.

1. shednz

shednz

doing old school blues, r&B, funk and reggae. Which do you think? Can't try either before buying - living in bass gear desert. Price is similar.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I'd go with the GB cab and the Aggy head. The GB 212 will go lower than those smaller Aggie 112s for sure, and IMHO that's desirable for blues. The head is more a matter of taste. I have not tried the TH and found the STL too mushy and dark....got me lost in the mix. YMMV.

3. shednz

shednz

thanks lomo - sounds like good advice. TH500 seems to be described as a little more "forward?" than the streamliner from what I've read, so combo you're suggesting may be the ticket.

4. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

#whichheaddoyoulikebetter?

:ninja:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. noahw1

noahw1 Supporting Member

What kind of bass do you play? I own a Streamliner and Avatar Neo cabs and love the combo with my p-bass but not so much with my jazz. The Streamliner has soft mids, while my cabs have a bit of a scoop and that combo plus a jazz jazz makes for a bass sound that gets a bit lost at times. The P has zero problems though and sounds great!

7. shednz

shednz

@ BassGod - never heard either of them and would need to fly to be able to

@ NOahw1 - my bass is an early 80s Ibanez roadstar 850, cheap but I like it - has humbucker and single coil,humbucker split coil. I try and make it thud, I'm not a fan of treble/sharp bass sound.

8. TC.65

TC.65

I've never played the TH500 but have heard nothing but good about them. I do own the GB Streamliner 600 and NeoX 212T and really like this rig. I have found that by putting a 5751 tube in the V1 position it tightened up the bass and gave the mids a bit of a push. This amp is more versatile than given credit for. You have to take the time to learn this amp as it's a bit more complicated than it looks. This rig has a great tone and is LOUD.

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Both heads are great, but the Genz is a better cab.

10. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Sorry, I was joking with you. There are few spaces in the thread title

11. shednz

shednz

missed it - must be taking this choice too seriously...:D