George 'Chocolate' Perry...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wateroftyne, Nov 9, 2012.

1. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

Hi all

Just been listening to a fair bit of late 70s Stephen Stills stuff, and it reminded me what a great player George Perry is. His feel and tone are marvelous.

Does anyone have any info about him? There's very little on the web. Is he still active?

Here's a bit of Perry playin'...

2. Vakmere

Vakmere

3. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

I have - as I mentioned, there's very little about him.

4. phat5

phat5 On the verge of a nervous breakthrough Supporting Member

There's a youtube clip of him playing on "Long Time Gone". One of my most favorite P bass players.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Johnny Roots

Johnny Roots Banned

I googled him. I found very little, apparently what does come up is a George Perry that has a caught a record Bass lol.

All I found was discog, that OP probably already saw, plus the OP is looking for maybe little nuggets of info that only TB community may have. Never know

7. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    When I was in Grad School at U of Miami in the late 70s, George was the top-call bassist at Criteria Studios. He played on a lot of the Bee Gees Disco Hits.
    He was using a P Bass with flats, IIRC.
    Here's his Allmusic discography-it looks like he's still active or being sampled at least.
    http://www.allmusic.com/artist/george-chocolate-perry-mn0000073813/credits
    Here's some Indie stuff from 2011-beware, it immediately loads a really loud soundclip if you're in your Home Studio late at night under the Master Bedroom with Wife sleeping upstairs!
    http://www.henrystonemusic.com/tag/chocolate-perry/
    Gotta remember to turn the studio monitors off when I do this!:eek:
    http://www.henrystonemusic.com/chocolateclay/

8. phat5

phat5 On the verge of a nervous breakthrough Supporting Member

Found some youtube clips of CS&N with George "Chocolate" Perry playing "Long Time Gone" during the Daylight Again Live Concert on DVD. Really dig this guy....just found out that he played on an album by my favorite local band (Snail) from Santa Cruz.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVW9sOsXAju
    Sorry...I can't get the link to work.

9. bpoos1130

bpoos1130

I was great friends with him back in the early to mid 80"s. We used to hang out with Stephen Stills at his home on Gloria St. right off Ventura Hwy. We went to a concert at Universal Studios in the limo with Chocolate. Tons of fun. He played on my ex wife's album also (It did not sell big) The last time I saw him was at him home in Hollywood Florida about 17 years ago. He was doing some studio work with the B-G's. Sorry I don't have more for you. If anyone does find him have him send me an e-mail.
    Thanks,
    Brian
    lbpoos@msn.com

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Back in 1991 right out of high school as I was buying my beloved (preowned) '88 Mesa Boogie rig, the Boogie boys were telling me the rig was owned by Chocolate Perry and it had just come off the Joe Walsh tour and that he also toured with the BeeGees. Now, back then as a snotty 18yr old I didnt care about those bands, and was like "who?". But of course eventually learned to hear what a great player this guy is.

11. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

They must have been great times!

12. bpoos1130

bpoos1130

It was great fun!! I use to bounce on the trampoline with his son Justin when he was 13 or so. Chocolate and I used to also play tennis with him in Stephen's back yard. The coolest things about knowing Stephen was being able to sit at his bar (in his home) and look at all of the original pics of Woodstock and other early performances. That and being able to watch and listen to Stephen play and sing in his studio also in his home. Boy do I wish I would have stayed in contact with them both. Hind sight.

13. Smileydrum

Smileydrum

14. bpoos1130

bpoos1130

Hey Harold, Do you know how to get in touch with Stephen or Chocolate??

15. southsidemiami

southsidemiami

George "Chocolate" Perry is working on the new Latimore album, "Latimore Remembers Ray Charles." Check out their killer take on "Hit The Road Jack" at youtube.com/henrystonemusic . Song has a killer Choco bass line. Album is coming out on the LatStone label co-owned with Henry Stone, who brought Perry into the TK Productions fold when he was just 16 years old. Also, check out Henry Stone's new e-book "The Stone Cold Truth On Payola." amazon.com/dp/B00C7FJ8VS

And how songs that Choc played bass on like Gwen McCrae's "Rockin' Chair," and Little Beaver's "Party Down" made it to radio.

too long didn't read? Choc's on the new Latimore

16. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I was listening to the best of Latimore the other day, there are some great Chocolate Perry grooves on there, the song Qualified Man smokes.