1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

George Porter Jr./Meters Tab,Score or Book?

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Lex Taylor, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Lex Taylor

Lex Taylor

Hi, I'm looking for a Meters/George Porter Jr. Book, with no success. Seems like too important a bass player/band to not be in print, does anything like this exist?
  2. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen Supporting Member

Good point. That book would sell like hotcakes in the bass community.
  3. ransombass

ransombass

I would love a George Porter Jr. book. He is, after all, the king of New Orleans.
  4. Bass301

Bass301

Cissy Strut is in the "Funk Bass" book / cd play-along published by Hal Leonard.

We should send an email with all of our names as interested buyers to Hal Leonard Publishing requesting a George Porter book, hopefully a book/cd play along.

A publishing company seeing definite demand would greatly increase the probability of a book being created. With no competition from existing books a publisher will be even more interested.
  5. Lex Taylor

Lex Taylor

Sounds like a great plan! I'm shocked that there's nothing available yet, George Porter jr. is a Bass Icon, and the classic period Meters is some of the greasiest **** ever, and deserving of the proper attention, I'd buy it. Maybe something along the lines of "The Funkmasters-the Great James Brown Rhythm Sections" published by Manhattan Music Publications. Sign me up, how do we proceed?
  6. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Bummer. There really should be some materials covering the bass lines of The Meters. Very surprising it doesn't exist.
  7. DONZI97

DONZI97

8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Supporting Member

I agree. My band plays "Ain't No Use" and I was looking for some tabs to compare to what I figured out by ear. Hard to find much of anything.
  9. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

How about grabbing a pile of Meters records & transcribing?
  10. Joaquin

Joaquin

Just go to Youtube.....there are a bunch of fella's doing the bass riff for Cissy Strut....some do it correctly and some don't.......you can even find the lead guitar player showing you how to do the correct guitar riff. Porter is doing all sorts fo funky stuff on the bass........
  11. WRBass

WRBass

There are a couple on Dodgy_Ian's Web Page:

DodgeBass » Transcriptions

I think he did more that are not posted. I will ask about them.
  12. DONZI97

DONZI97

Thanks for that link! I just tried out "Just Kissed My Baby" and holy cow, is that an exercise in timing and feel.
  13. sonofabass

sonofabass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    Hi everyone. I know that this thread is a bit old. However, if anyone is interested I am currently producing and will be posting a series of videos regarding George's bass parts.

I am a native New Orleanian (George is the "father" of us all from this generation)

I currently play bass for Zigaboo Modeliste.

Preparing for that gig was surprisingly harder than anyone might think on a surface level.

youtube.com/blyss

All the best,
    Blyss
  14. sonofabass

sonofabass

Disclosures:
  15. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Supporting Member

Good stuff! Glad to see George get a little more attention on TalkBass! What a crime that the RNR HOF is only now nominating The Meters, Rush and Deep Purple, bands whose influence alone is greater than so many already in the Hall.
  16. sonofabass

sonofabass

Disclosures:
    Glad you enjoyed. Pleas let everyone know to vote. They are amazing people and having the oppurtunity play for Zigaboo has been an amazing experience. One of the best groove educations any bass player could get.
  17. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Just found this thread.

Subbed.

WHO DAT!