Georgia Satelites - Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Does anyone in TB land know how to play this like the the original bass player played it?

NO one on youtube is even close. Is it tabed anywhere?

2. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Oddly enough, for as long as this song has been around, my "classic rock" band just introduced it for us to play at a post-St. Patrick's Day parade gig in 2 weeks.

Pretty much your garden variety I-IV-V. My ears hear the original bassline as ascending & descending Major 6 chord arpeggios. In the key of A: A - C# - E - F# - A (octave). Five 8th notes on the root ascending w/ single 8th notes on the M3, 5, 6 to complete the measure. A-A-A-A-A-C#-E-F#. Then descend from the octave: A-A-A-A-A-F#-E-C#

For the sections that go to the IV or the V, it seems like it's ascending only up to the 6th & doesn't descend.

To be honest, when I play each chord, I'll stick with the above. When I transition from one chord to the next, I probably haven't played the approaches the same way twice!

I'll agree, some of the YT bass covers are atrocious (it's more than just simple roots). But it's a song you can take liberties with and still have fun.

3. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    Agree it's a I-IV-V. But you can take liberties...I actually cycle between ascending from the A up the board and starting lower on the E and Ascending to the A to give a little lower end and stay out of the two guitar players space.... YMMV

4. Skeeter1

Skeeter1

We keep this tune on standby. It comes in handy to "dedicate" to any bachelorette parties we notice at a club were playing. Just the blues in A as described above.

Liquor'd up bridesmaids love it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. INTP

INTP

As AMp'D.2play mentioned, I hear a Maj6 arpeggio. Another way to think of it is major pentatonic, but without the 2nd. In a live setting, I think you could get away with dominant 7 as well (root, maj3rd, 5th, minor 7th, octave: A C# E G A). It does affect the quality of the song, but the crowd should be able to dance either way.

This is the kind of song that I don't mind playing, but for whatever reason the guitar players that have wanted to do it always want to hear the bassline from the record. I am not interested in being human juke box, so I will basically play "blues in A". It feels antithetical to me to have a highly orchestrated 3 chord blues song. I'll adjust the energy for the feel of the song, and do my best to make it groove.

7. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I get the feeling the bass on the record was done in an improve kinda way.

8. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

+1