1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Gerald V. Casale

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by randyripoff, Jan 25, 2014.

1. randyripoff

randyripoff Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago
    Hey, I was just watching some live Devo, and I recall that Gerald Casale always had some offbeat basses. Any ideas who built them for him?

2. The bass he played in the early days of DEVO was a modified Gibson Ripper.

He then had a custom bass with a very small body (I called it the dog biscuit bass) that had a Gibson neck and headstock. At the time I assumed it was a custom Gibson, but I'm not sure of the origin of that bass.

I think he then used Steinbergers when he wasn't playing keyboard bass.

I liked his live tone in the early days. His technique always made me think he was really a righty playing lefty.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Jerry started with a Gibson EB-3, then got the Ripper and sawed off part of the body. Then he took an EB-3 neck and spliced it onto the body that Crunchy calls the "dog biscuit bass." Don't know who made it for him, though. Then for the New Traditonalists tour, he got a Steinberger and has used one ever since except for one weird gig where he used an EB-3. I asked Jerry whatever happened to the old basses and he said they went to "low end heaven."

5. randyripoff

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago
    Thanks Jimmy. That's very interesting.

Always fun to talk about Devo.

6. randyripoff

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago