1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gerald V. Casale

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by randyripoff, Jan 25, 2014.

1. randyripoff

randyripoff

Hey, I was just watching some live Devo, and I recall that Gerald Casale always had some offbeat basses. Any ideas who built them for him?
  2. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog

The bass he played in the early days of DEVO was a modified Gibson Ripper.

He then had a custom bass with a very small body (I called it the dog biscuit bass) that had a Gibson neck and headstock. At the time I assumed it was a custom Gibson, but I'm not sure of the origin of that bass.

I think he then used Steinbergers when he wasn't playing keyboard bass.

I liked his live tone in the early days. His technique always made me think he was really a righty playing lefty.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jerry started with a Gibson EB-3, then got the Ripper and sawed off part of the body. Then he took an EB-3 neck and spliced it onto the body that Crunchy calls the "dog biscuit bass." Don't know who made it for him, though. Then for the New Traditonalists tour, he got a Steinberger and has used one ever since except for one weird gig where he used an EB-3. I asked Jerry whatever happened to the old basses and he said they went to "low end heaven."
  4. randyripoff

randyripoff

Thanks Jimmy. That's very interesting.

Always fun to talk about Devo.
  5. randyripoff

randyripoff