1. If you have a confirmed date for your GTG, please create a new event ("Post New Event" button) to get it on the calendar. RSVP system included.

Gerald Veasley's Bass Boot Camp in March...

Discussion in 'Social Events & GTG's [BG]' started by Johnius, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Johnius

Johnius

I'm thinking about going to this and was wondering if there was anybody from TB made it in 2012 who could offer a review or an opinion. The threads I found on it are about 3 or 4 years old, and since it's kind of an expensive weekend I'd like to make sure it's worth it. I know I can buy many private lessons for the same money, but the "retreat" aspect of the camp is also appealing. Thanks.
  2. lokerola

lokerola

Subscribed. I'm thinking about it too and would love to hear other's opinions.
  3. ccbass71

ccbass71 Gold Supporting Member

I missed this year, but went the four previous. I'll be there next year. Definitely worth it. Great instruction. All teachers are great. Also, a great hang.
  4. Stewthebassman

Stewthebassman

Any other opinions, stories? Seems like it would help me refocus my playing....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I'm already signed up. This will be my first one.
  7. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

If you have the time and the money it is well worth it. I did the 2012 camp. They broke everyone into 4 groups based on ability. So, you were always with people who were at a similar playing level. And the instructors based their breakouts on the different skill levels. There is some good built in hang time, jam time etc etc. Well worth it. I can't do the one in 2013 but will do again some time for sure
  8. Stewthebassman

Stewthebassman

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out a clever way to get to Reading from Montreal without spending a fortune on airfare...
  9. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

That's one of my things too. Even though I am in the states, the extra airfare costs on top of tuition, hotel etc. Gets pretty high. I would highly recommend staying at the hotel. The boot camp rate is fairly reasonable and there are a lot of late night activities and even breaks during the day where it really helps to be staying onsite.

Fortunately I had another TBer friend of mine who wanted to go to the camp and lives in MD> SO, I was able to fly into Baltimore and we went up together. So, that saved me on a rental car.
  10. Stewthebassman

Stewthebassman

Yes, I agree that the value is there for the Camp itself. And it definitely pays to stay on site, that is clear.

I would save a ton of cash by driving, so while it would be boring and time-consuming I guess I could break out all my Jaco tribute CDs so I could compliment Gerald on all his incredible playing when I finally arrived!
  11. Rhythmman535

Rhythmman535 Supporting Member

I've been to a few of them including the early ones back in Philly. They used to coincide with the Berk's Jazz festival which was a double edged sword because of all of the concerts and great bassists. So you're torn between classes and concerts but a lot of those guest appearances were by the performing bassists. It's scheduled now during an off week which allows you to focus more on you. The schedule can be a little intense so prepare yourself for that and keep that in mind as you decide your travel plans. You don't want to show up tired or you won't be able to grasp a lot of the information. You will come away rejuvinated if you keep an open mind. Private lessons are also available and one lesson with Anthony Wellington is worth the trip alone.

So it really depends on what you're looking for. There are a lot of options out there from Victor Wooten's Bass/Nature camp which is an amazing experience on many levels and you're not going to get any more of a retreat than sleeping in a tent for a week. If it's about music, strictly music and nothing else but music then Jeff Berlin's one week intensive is just that. Gerald's Bass Boot Camp is definitely worthe the trip and you'll make a bunch of new friends along the way.
  12. Stewthebassman

Stewthebassman

Hey Rhythmman535, thank you for the input!
  13. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

I'm signed up to go. This is my first but I'd heard excellent things about the program. Spoke with GV on the phone and got to ask a ton of questions, as well. Super nice guy, so I'm really looking forward to this. I'm driving up from Florida, so anyone along the I-95 corridor who would like to rideshare, feel free to PM. Got a couple stops to make along the way, but they're bass or TalkBass related. You'll have fun. ;)
  14. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    I will be there with Revsound...

Revsound will have a full assortment of cabinets there...Come by and say Hello.
  15. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty much a rank beginner (despite my advanced age...) and I decided I'm not ready for a weekend of instruction. Looking forward to being ready for the 'beginners' group next year tho.

However - I'll be in for the Expo on Saturday. Hoping to listen to some amps.
  16. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
    I'll be there for the Expo on Saturday. Say 'hi' if you see me.
  17. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

I'm at the camp now. If any tbers wanna say hi, shoot me a pm.
  18. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

I was there - and wow! Just wow. I'm going back next year. Met some really great people; took some great classes; learned a lot.
  19. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

I was at the 2006 camp and it was great. I hope to get back one of these years.
  20. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Thinking seriously of taking the plunge for 2014, recently announced. So recently that the instructors are still 'TBA.'

http://www.geraldveasley.com/bassbootcamp/registration.htm

Feb 28-> Mar 2 2014.

That gives me six months to get to where I think I might be able to understand new instruction...

With each passing day I am less enchanted with my day job and thinking about a second (third?) career in music. In any case, I think I might just be ready to see what the next level is all about...
  21. Tat2dHeart

Sign up before Monday to get the early bird price. Prices go up $50 after Monday with another price increase coming another month or so down the line.

I'm definitely going - registration is going in this week. The website instructors are still listed as TBA because there is a lot of discussion still going on. However - Patrick Pfeiffer is confirmed (his groove class was one of my favorites) and IIRC, Adam Nitti is also confirmed (super amazing guy and really good instructor). Some of the night-owl instruction is also back on board, so it's definitely going to be another good year.

Anyone who is in the ATL area (or would like to meet me there) or the route north is welcome to ride-share with me on the trip.