German bow technique q.

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

hopefully in correct forum...any tips on how to improve bowing the F#, F and E notes on the E string on a 4 string bass? I play French but have tried to also expand technique with German and find the bowing of above mentioned notes quite awkard...

Thanks for reading!

2. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

Ackward because of balance? If so, make sure the bass is leaning back onto you, you may need to re-examine how you balance the instrument. You should hardly need to hold it up, and therefor those notes should be quite easy to play.
    Ackward because you're clocking the C bout of your bass or leg? Your bass may have a low neck projection angle (or whatever that term should be), and it just may be a hard bass to play on the E string on. If you're hitting your leg however, it's again a matter of how you are standing/balancing.

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Thanks Max, I think ackward because of balance, I play standing up (should have specified) and do realize now that I "twirl" the DB a bit.
    Interested in your comment about low neck projection angle, can you actually physicaly measure, and if so, is it also in relation to body stance?

4. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

You can generally tell if it's almost ergonomically impossible to play the E string without banging into the body. As someone who stands as well, it takes a bunch of getting used to to see where the bass can balance on you. Every human and instrument are different, so you have to find a place where you can play all of the notes (or at least close to it). As someone who's not tall, I used to do alot of reaching, but Mark Dresser keyed me into alot of things that you can do to balance the instrument better. Think of your pelvis as a hinge to get to different areas of the instrument. But if you can't access the E string with the bow, you should rotate slightly more towards the back of the instrument. Try resting the back E side corner near the crotch region.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

OK, let me expriment with that, Max, much appreciated!