German Warwicks How-To-Tell Guide ?. Please help !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jgore, May 4, 2010.

1. jgore

jgore

:help:

So I've been knocking my head hard against the wall :mad: trying to figure out how to tell whether a warwick is german or not. :meh:

Can any knowledgeable person please explain what are the facts to take into account in order to be able to distinguish a german made warwick from the rest of the korean or chinese ones ?. :hyper:

Thanks. ! :D

2. Dan B

Dan B

Don't the Chinese Rockbasses usually say "Rockbass" on the headstock?

That's how I have been differentiating them.

3. big90sbasshorns

big90sbasshorns

I would hazard to say that if it's a new bass and less than $1000 usd chances are it's not of german provinance.

4. big90sbasshorns

big90sbasshorns

I don't believe the new ones have the "rockbass" branding on the headstock/truss cover anymore.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact

Maple necks on the RockBasses, I believe.

7. WhiteKnuckles

WhiteKnuckles

The official site shows that the truss rod cover still bears a rockbass tag.

8. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

I've always thought the standard corvette (cheaper one, not rockbass) was Germany-made...

That wasn't the case... ?

9. mokkat

mokkat

The new Rockbasses are harder to tell from the "real" warwicks, but you can always identify them by the 3-piece maple neck

from 2010, the standard bubinga and ash corvette's have been moved from germany to southkorea. Same bass, probably same build quality, itll just be from Korea if you by a super-brand-new one

10. grifff

grifff

Not anymore, they shipped production of the Corvette STD models over to Korea.

The use of different woods and finishes is usually a telltale sign. The Chinese RockBasses do not have stacked knobs on the active models. The RockBasses do not have bell brass frets.

11. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

The neck woods are a giveaway. Rosewood over maple, versus wenge over ovangkol and brass fret (yellow).

The bodies as well. Natural swamp ash / oil / bubinga finish usually means Warwick, solid finish / maple are rockbasses (although warwicks can be ordered with solid finish). The back of the headstock should say made in Germany with a serial number.

12. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

mokkat ; grifff : So, i was partially right in my interrogation.

Thanks guys.

13. badboy1984

badboy1984

Rockbass is more easier to tell, because you can tell by the wood, neck, fret etc.

The Korean Corvette is the super brand new one which is 2010 model. So if you like me own a 2000 model than it is made in German.

14. jgore

jgore

So basically any Corvette Standard prior to 2010 will be german ?

15. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

About Streamer Models, as far as i Know, the rockbass and Non-germany models doesn't have Curved body.. i'm not sure..
    Be carefull with Maple necks, cause Streamer $$ is maple neck! Otjer thing is that generally, German Warwick Comes in Wood finishes, not solid colors (IMO, i'm not sure) except for the Custom Shop!

16. badboy1984

badboy1984

some more info on the warwick forum

http://forum.warwick.de/10-warwick-basses/10954-corvette-stds-discontinued.html

I think they move the production line on the Std Corvette to Korean at around 2010 but I not too sure about that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But I know the older model or old Corvette out in the Market is Made in German. I know my is because the serial number is in between the Tuner peg, so thats old enough to be made in German ......

17. XmattX

XmattX

Disclosures:
    Photographer, Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG
    Any Corvette Std made in 2010 or later comes from Korea. You can recognize these by the serial number, which starts with 'WPS'. Also, there is 'Pro Series' on the trussrod cover in small script parallel to the nut. Lastly, the new Corvette Std's have 2-piece bodies, while the German ones had 3-piece bodies.

A Rockbass can be recognised by the serial, which starts with 'RB'. Also, they have 'RockBass' in small script on the trussrod cover. The necks of rockbasses will always be 3- (4-string) or 4-part (5-string) maple with ekanga veneers. Lastly, the rockbasses have nickel silver frets, which look silver rather than gold like the German bell brass frets.

Rockbasses also never have stacked pots and will never be in natural oil finish (they come in coloured oil, which is a satin laquer over a stained body, and solid laquer).

18. i hate username

i hate username

The German made Warwick(with the exception of a very new corvette std) will have a two piece Warwick bridge as well.
    Rockbass's have a bent metal one.

19. XmattX

XmattX

Disclosures:
    Photographer, Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG
    This is no longer true. As of 2009 all RockBasses, Warwick Pro Series Basses and Warwicks have the two piece Warwick bridge.

20. i hate username

i hate username

Oops...I stand corrected:bag:

21. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

Rockbasses still have the rockbass name on the trussrod cover.
    But let's take a look to some points that will differentiate German made Warwicks

Corvette $$

Rockbass:
    Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard.

[​IMG]

German Warwick $$

[​IMG]

Do you notice the diference? There are more control options in the German made $$.

Most noticeable difference between rockbasses and German made Warwicks, other that the trussrod cover and neck/fingerboard wood, will be the bell brass frets. (Yellowish Frets)

Finally, from now on Warwick Germany will only produce corvette $$ series

Corvette $$ standard
    [​IMG]

Bubinga Neckthrough

[​IMG]
    and Ash neckthrough

[​IMG]

I hope this helps.