1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gershwin? Classical?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vcell, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Vcell

Vcell

My son just heard Herbie Hancock and his orchestra playing Rhapsody in Blue and asked, "Daddy, what's this? Classical?"

"Um," said I. "It's Gershwin."

"Yeah. But is it Classical?"

"No. It's um... I don't know. American I guess."

I feel stupid.
  2. tplyons

tplyons

3. chris1125

chris1125 Supporting Member

I would call it heavily jazz influenced classical before I called it heavily classical influenced jazz.
  4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I've met a few people who think 'classical' is music with strings and no vocal. Other schooled musicians will refer music composed within a certain period of time (1750-1824) as classical. Before that would be Baroque, after that Romantic and then Post-Romantic. All that is helpful for learning how styles influenced each other and how ideas evolved and developed.

Gershwin poses some interesting style points in his music. He came up through the pop music of his time, but his mind and ear were more open to possibilities than many others of his time. To call "Rhapsody in Blue" a classical piece is not academically correct. Also it is not really jazz. However it is art music in a pop (or early jazz) style.

Much the same kind of situation with "Sgt. Pepper's". You would sound foolish to call it 'Rock and Roll", and in a lot of ways, it's not Rock.... its not Progressive Rock. But it is art music in a rock/pop style.

A true genius will take the best from many ideas and create something new. Gershwin was such a genius, and its a damn shame that he died at age 37. His pop songs were as good as anyone else's from the 1930's, but his orchestral (art) music was pointing to something quite new. Check out "Porgy and Bess" and you'll hear music theater, jazz, and opera. Also worth a listen is "American In Paris".
  5. Vcell

Vcell

Amen.