1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Get fret clicking with agressive finger picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tunewriter, Feb 10, 2014.

1. tunewriter

tunewriter

Have Music Man Stingray and no problems using a pick. Just learning finger picking and I get this metallic clicking sound when I play aggressively. Seems to be coming from my fingers over the sensitive pickups. Can't figure it out. Do I just need to learn how to lighten up on my picking or is it more related to the guitar setup? Action seems just a bit high. Appreciate any help.

:bassist:
  2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Are the strings touching the pickup pole pieces when you're playing? Might need to lower the pickup slightly.

push the string against the pole pieces whilst plugged in to determine if it's the same sound.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Three things.

1)You're digging in to much, play lighter and let the amp do the volume work.

2)The strings are probably hitting the frets, not the pickup. If they are hitting the pickups you really need to lower them.

3)Stingrays are notorious for their clank, especially if you have a maple board.
  4. remainthesame

remainthesame

you might need to raise your action

edit: nevermind, i didnt see that you said your action was already high
  5. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

It seems the OP knows that the problem comes from him digging in, but that is the sound he wants. You can't "amp" that sound. Hold down your last fret and measure the distance between the pickup and each string. Even if it never touches the strings it can give abrupt noise.
  6. Jensby design

Jensby design

Is it your on-board pre-amp clipping do you need to change your battery?
    Is your pick-up to close to the strings?
    Are your strings really loose?
    Are you getting a slap sound because that could be cool if you can tame it. http://youtu.be/SKYY32KK2po ok maybe that's a bit advanced.
  7. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

while Digging in , ... you can go more Across the string the hitting it at a downward angle ... coming down hard might hit the pups or the frets or both ... some folks like that .. !? or play a little closer to the bridge , it takes a harder hit to make that noise ...

you can EQ that noise out a little bit ... I think it's usually between 1k - 4k ish range ... !?

it takes some adjusting , of several things , when you change your style of playing ... hopefully you can find a happy medium for all things ... ! then it also takes a while to adapt and get used to ' whatever ' you change ...

Dave C. Tampa Bay
  8. Twick

Twick

I've found that if I dig in very hard then my plucking finger causes the lower string to tap the last fret when I land on it following an attack (eg plucking a note on the A string causes the E to click against the fret). Perhaps try to pluck parallel to the plane of the fretboard (if you're not already).
  9. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Just keep working on it, spend some time on your RH. It might take an effort time for the tone to really become in your control.

I use musical sounding fretboard noise as part of my tone in metal. In my other bands I avoid it but still try to have a punchy sound. It was a very big change for me in terms of technique to go from max fingerstyle aggression to more of a clean fingerstyle funk sound... I know it can be done though.